Fuel consumption on 115 OMC

honedout

Cadet
I am wanting to get some info on normal fuel consumption on my 1987 115 OMC. I have not had the boat too long and would like to know a normal fuel rate at 4500-5000 rpm. I rarely run at WOT for any length of time.Top rpm on this boat is 5500 with a 17 pitch prop. 18 ft Mako center console. I am currently using approx 6 gallons in 9 miles at 5000 rpm. Is this normal? My old 110 hp motor would get 15 miles per 6 gallons on a 16 ft flat bottom aluminum. Quite a difference.

ob

Admiral
Re: Fuel consumption on 115 OMC

Seems a bit too much fuel to me as well.Assuming your boat would go say, 30 mph at 5000 rpm,9 miles would be covered in 1/3 the time.That's roughly 6 gallons of fuel in 20 minutes run time at 5000 rpm or 18 gallons of fuel in approx 1 hour of run time at 5000 rpm.A general rule is 10% fuel usage of rated hp at wide open throttle.That would mean that your engine should run at wide open throttle for 1 hour and use approx 11.5 gallons of fuel.A difference of about 6.5 gallons per hour at WOT.<br /><br />Do your sparkplugs seem wet fouled or is there any indication of fuel leakage from the fuel pump or carb inlets?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats!!<br /><br />Lets start at the beginning. Whats the model number of the motor you have now? There wasnt a 115 in 87 but there was a 110, which is basically the same thing. Assuming thats what you have, and further assuming your old 110 was an OMC crossflow, theyre identical.<br /><br />However, the weight and drag difference between the 2 boats is a lot. There will be some differences there. IE -- we would suspect that you used a much larger pitch on the smaller, lighter aluminum boat. That alone would account for some distance per gallon of fuel.<br /><br />As for the present set up, 5500 with a 17" prop isnt quite what we have seen on that boat. You didnt say which model 18' Mako but we usually end up with a 19" prop on a crossflow set up at or near 5800 on the flats boat style model. <br /><br />While we dont suspect your Mako will ever get the fuel mileage the aluminum boat did (with the same motor), I agree with OB's observations on general fuel consumption. At wide open you should be looking at about 11 gallons an hour. It seems youre way past that so something is wrong.<br /><br />As OB suggested lets see if this motor is healthy. Look at the things he suggested and also compression, timing and linkage (make sure everything is going to WOT). Also tell us more about the set up. What kind of prop? Do you have a jackplate? Is it indeed the Mako flats boat?

honedout

Cadet

I was told that it is a 115 when i bought it. Its actually a 1.6 litre sea drive. As far as the operation of the motor everything is normal. The carbs are freshly rebuilt and no leaks anywhere. The timing advances to 28 BTC as the manual says is correct. Starts and idles fine. Plugs are a tan color after running with only a slight wetness on the threads. I am very familiar with reading plugs and diagnosing a rich/lean problem. This motor is defiantly not running rich.Thats what concerns me on the relatively poor fuel economy i am getting so far. <br /> A 19 pitch prop would not get the rpm needed. I would only turn 5000 max with a 19 pitch prop. I installed a 17 and the rpm is now at 5500 WOT. And good acceleration from stop. The boat is a Mako 18 ft center console deep v. Weight on the title is 1750 lbs.

D

DJ

That Mako is a HEAVY boat. I'd say your consumption is about right.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

honedout - Your motor is a 110 hp per the OMC Shop Manual for the 1987 1.6L SeaDrives. I have a pair of them on a 23' CC.

honedout

Cadet

Ok.So i guess i have a 110hp. Hey SoLittle what kind of fuel consumption are you getting on yours on a 23 cc.?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

honedout - Even if I knew I doubt that my fuel consumption would mean much to you due the differences between what you are runnin and what I have. For what it is worth I am very satisfied with my fuel burn.<br /><br />My rig is a very heavy 1988 23' Wellcraft CC. If anything it is way overbuilt but it rides like a dream. I have a 122 gallon fuel tank and due to the weight of fuel and the relatively short trips we typically make I usually dump in 25 or 50 gallons when my fuel guage reads around 1/4 full. Both of my SeaDrives are 1987s and I have had both power heads rebuilt in the 12 years I have had it. I have had zero problems with the SeaDrive units and hope I never do as they are more complex than the standard set-up. If you plan on doing your own work I strongly recommend that you get the OMC shop manual and Parts Catalog. Here is my rig:<br /><br /><br />
DSCF00081.jpg