fuel connectors

jdstephwacotx

Seaman
I have what I have found is called the 'Merc' connection to my motor but what I see is called the 'OMC' connection at my tank.<br /><br />Is that a problem? Do both fittings need to be the same to work?<br /><br />I think I'm about to replace the tank, line and bulb but I like the ease/size of the 'OMC' fitting like I currently have on the tank over the bulky 'Merc' connection at the motor.<br /><br />Thanks

fireman57

Captain
Re: fuel connectors

Sounds like you are trying to run a Merc engine on a JohnnyRude tank. You haven't said what engine you have.

jdstephwacotx

Seaman

The motor is a mid-70's Merc 85HP. The tank is just a generic plastic job with the little 'OMC' fitting.<br /><br />Is that a problem? <br /><br />I just bought it and it idles great but quits when I put it in gear. I'm about to decarb and clean the carbs but I thought I would rule out fuel problems first.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Merc adopted that fitting after Yamaha copied the Johnnyrude connector and put them on Mariners. The Merc/Yamaha connectors are larger and they are definately not interchangable woth that OMC fitting. You'll have to change the fitting on the tank to a Merc/Yamaha fitting, or change the end on the hose to a Johnnyrude fitting. The latter would be cheaper. But the fit would be so bad, you wouldn't get any fuel to the motor in the first place.<br /><br />The problem you describe with the motor sounds like classic symptoms of worn reed blocks. That is common with the inline Mercs with lots of hours on them. But make sure the motor is getting a good supply of gas first.

alcan

Commander

My best advice is, toss your cheep after market tank,hose and connectors. This stuff is garbage. There are more problem assoiated with this stuff than it is ever worth. OEM tanks and hoses cost money. But they work and last a long time. It doesn't matter the OEM brand, use the correct fittings for brand of motor you have. Keep it all Merc or all OMC. Nothing worse than being disabled because of a CHEEP fuel line connector, or a CHEEP plastic tank half full of water or better yet swolen up to twice it's size in the hot sun.

jdstephwacotx

Seaman

Just so I'm clear....<br /><br />I understand that the different connections aren't interchangeable when attempting to conect to each other. What I meant was that I have the 'Merc' male/female connection at the motor that looks like a 6-pin trailer connection (they go together with a half twist). Then the tank has the brass elbow threaded into it with the little dual spigots and the quick connect felmale adapter at the end of the hose connect to it.<br /><br />My not so clear question was is it a problem that the two are different? If I have the Merc connection at the motor end do I have to have the Merc connection at the tank end? Or will the bulb and delivery system work regardless as long as everything is working as it should?<br /><br />Thanks for all your help. What do you mean by OEM tanks? Does Merc make it's own tank to use with their motors?

alcan

Commander

I understood your question and situation perfectly. In theory it should work fine. OEM is original equipment manufacture.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The confusion was on my part. No, it doesn't matter as long as the ends are both OMC compatable at the tank end, and it sounds like the ends at the motor end certainly are.<br /><br />I agree wit alcan about the aftermarket stuff. You'll be lucky to get a couple of years out of the line before the bulb goes rock hard. But you already have them, so go ahead and use them. Next time it comes to replacement, go with the factory stuff. It lasts many years longer.

jdstephwacotx

Seaman

I understand that by 'factory' and 'OEM' you mean get it at the dealer versus Wal-Mart but this is a 1960 boat that used to have an internal tank in the bow and now just has the plastic tank in the back.<br /><br />Is the 'OEM' stuff you refer to just another plastic tank but is made by Merc, a steel tank made by Merc, or do you mean replace the internal tank in the bow?<br /><br />Thanks for all your help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I currently run a 1977 Merc using aftermarket plastic fuel tanks with OMC fuel fittings. I find the OMC fuel fittings are superior to the old Merc ones, but never changed the fitting on the motor. My fuel hose therefore has a merc female and an OMC female fitting. I have had zero problems!

alcan

Commander

Both Merc and OMC offer steel portable tanks, these are best. They both also offer plastic replacement tanks, these tanks are OK, they have way better connections caps and gauges than does the cheepo after market units. There is no problem with a quality, properly installed plastic onboard tank.