fuel blowing out #3 cyliner

rosgood14

Seaman
I have a 1971 ford 351w that we have been trying to crank and at times it was close but no cigar. we then let it sit for about 2 months until we got around to trying again. now she is backfiring out of the carb and i was noticed that for some reason it sounded like the motor was bogging down during its rotation so i started taking out the spark plugs one at a time until i took out #3 plug and it was not bogging down but when the motor turned over it blew a lot of fuel out of the hole. it was not the normal mist you might see but literally a good stream which would explain why it was bogging because there was so much pressure building up in that cylinder. I am at my end with this motor and i could really use some help. I recently rebuilt the carb and i am certain that i did not make a mistake, but maybe im wrong. any help would be awesome. thanks

castaic piper

Seaman Apprentice
Re: fuel blowing out #3 cyliner

A shot in the dark. Do you have the plug wires correct for the cam? I know some Ford cams have a diffrent firing order.

gilby246

Cadet

check the timing..when you crank it does it sound like its dragging and having a hard time turning over?...maybe kicking back a bit? if so your too advanced, try turning the distributor..... clockwise?

What kind of setup is it? Direct drive, I/O? Found an interceptor motor for cheap because it would not start. The wrong starter was put on it, and it was a RH rotation. You havent changed the starter lately?

Bondo

Staff member

so i started taking out the spark plugs one at a time until i took out #3 plug and it was not bogging down but when the motor turned over it blew a lot of fuel out of the hole. it was not the normal mist you might see but literally a good stream which would explain why it was bogging because there was so much pressure building up in that cylinder.

Ayuh,... Are ya Sure that weren't Water,..??

rosgood14

Seaman

yes i have found the correct firing order and made sure that wasn't the problem also we have played with the distributor and tried to get it right but it doesn't seem to make a big difference. it is a direct drive motor and i had the starter that was on the motor rebuilt not to long ago. well i had someone ask me if it was water before and i honestly couldn't tell you. it smells like fuel but i have not found a way to test it. how could i test for that or where would i find the problem if that was the case.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

"Playing with the distributor" is not a good way to try and start an engine. Since you have moved it you have no idea where it is set so start from scratch. Get #1 cylinder on TDC on the compression stroke. Then check the orientation of the rotor in the distributor. It should point at #1 terminal. If not, rotate the distributor as needed and lightly snug the lockdown nut. Next, do you have clean, fresh fuel? Do you have good spark? Is this a point style or electronic distributor? If a points style, is the gap (dwell) set correctly and are the points in good shape? If there is water in a cylinder it could have gotten there through reversion (water going backwards in the exhaust system), or a bad head gasket, cracked head, cracked block, etc. Is there evidence of water in the oil? Lots of things to check that don't cost anything. Since the engine was rebuilt, a cam with too much overlap may have been installed with the idea to make a few more HP. Bad choice if that's the case.

castaic piper

Seaman Apprentice

Well maybe time to check in a little deeper. Pull the valve covers and check your valve adjustment and check for a bent pushrod. If a intake valve is hanging open you could be getting a backfire thru the carb. If a exhaust isnt opening it could cause higher cyl preasure while cranking.

rosgood14

Seaman

we have gotten #1 at TDC and made sure that the distributor was set properly thats when we tried tweaking it a little when it still would not start. It has clean fuel and it has good spark in all cylinders. it is a points style and what gap (dwell) are you talking about. Im not familiar with the reversion you are talking about but as far as a cracked block or head i dont think that is the case because at one time the motor would start enough to disengage the starter but then die. it sat for about 2 months thats when we started trying again and the problem had progressed to where its at now. There is not water in the oil at all. we did check the valves and if im not mistaken on the ford the valves are just supposed to be snugged down at least thats what i was told. what exactly will i be looking for with the valves. i have never really tore apart a full size motor i usually stick with 2 strokes, but im ready i just need a little help. thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

we have gotten #1 at TDC and made sure that the distributor was set properly

i have never really tore apart a full size motor i usually stick with 2 strokes, but im ready i just need a little help

Are you sure you had number one up on the compression stroke, and not the exhaust stroke? You may be off one complete revolution.

rosgood14

Seaman

yes we made that mistake already then figured it out but it is on the compression stroke.

Bondo

Staff member

what exactly will i be looking for with the valves.

Ayuh,... Make sure all 16 of 'em are goin' Up, 'n Down....;)

#1,Tdc, Both are closed,... slack pushrods...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is this the firing order and cylinder location you are using?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 0

rosgood14

Seaman

yes that is the firing order i have and what do you mean #1 TDC both are closed. what is closed

Because of the age of this engine and the direct drive wouldn't be reverse rotation? 1-8-4-5-6-2-7-3. Did the engine run before the starter was rebuilt? They may have just swapped the starter out no knowing. I had the same symptoms with another engine as I stated before. What kind of boat? Is it velvet drive? Pull the distributor out and move the rotor 180 deg and reinstall.

rosgood14

Seaman

the engine did not run before i bought it but i had it to the point to where the starter would dis-engage from the motor almost starting. im positive it is the same starter that came off of it. It is a 1972 Penn Yann Tunnel drive. what is a velvet drive.

A velvet drive is a manufacturer of direct driven trannys. It is just a cluth basically. I linked a pic. It is probably what you have. Look for a ID tag on it. Find out what rotation prop you have it will be stamped RH of LH or you can tell by the way the prop is made to push the boat forward. Is there a firing order on the valve cover any where? that could tell direction also. The engine I spoke of would cough, spit, sputter, rotate, also.velvet.gif

cgast123

Cadet

sounds to me like you have the firing order wrong I know its redundent but I have had motors give me this fit time and time again and it seems like the firing order gets me every time people try a tune up and never get the wires in the correct spot. to check and see if it is fuel or water coming out cylinder try to catch it in a glass jar and let it sit for a while and see if it seperates you should have only fuel I would definantly pull the valve cover off the side that has the fuel coming out the spark plug hole and make sure your exhaust valve is opening as much as the others if the fuel cant get out the exhaust its going to come out the sparkplug hole.