Ft Lauderdale Inshore

coachtom2183

Cadet
I,m a Tennessee bass fisherman who just moved to Ft Laud I bought a 16 ft flats boat with 50hp I want to start fishing for snook and tarpon and other inshore fish do you have any advice on areas to start ie general area and baits thx a saltwater newbie

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Ft Lauderdale Inshore

Snapperbait could answer this for in you if you want to drive north to West Palm Beach. When I travel to Ft. Lauderdale, that is what I do, head north to West Palm Beach.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Unfortunately inshore "hot-spot" knowledge base ends at about Boynton inlet........

However... Inshore snook relate to structure nearly identically to bass...... Docks, mangrove shorelines, rocks, pipes, spillways, ect.... All good starting points... And hang onto that bass tackle, cause that's really all you need....

Rat-L-traps are one of my go-to lures for covering water quickly... Chrome & black, gold & black, chrome & blue... The 1/2 ounce (i think) floating is the size I use most... Snook will smack em', along with cudas, jacks, and i've bagged a few nice mangrove snappers with em' too...

Another good go-to lure is the Cotee Jig... (i'll try and get a pic) Gotta use the red Cotee "livin' eye jig head", in my opinion..... 1/8 and 1/4 ounce heads do the job... I think you'll find that the 1/4 ounce heads will be the ones used most of the time... As for the jig bodies, motor-oil with gold sparkles is topps... silver with silver sparkles too... Chartruse curly tail gubs work great in clear water and in the surf..

Whatever ya do, just make sure to run a couple feet of mono or flourocarbon leader tied direct to you line with an "albright special" knot (no swivel)... The leader does'nt have to be all that heavy.. When throwing lures, I seldom use heavier than 20lbs test for mono leader, and 30 for flourocarbon....

I gotta look up here more often
8)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

luresrf4.jpg

Here's basically all that's in my tacklebox, as far as inshore lures go...

coachtom2183

Cadet

Thanx you guys are great I went night fishing in the 84 Canal just east of the lock/spillover on the 26th released several small snook and small tarpon using Yosiri minnow there were also several manatees feeding there.Going out to holiday park tomarrow to check that area out my fisrt time there probably use top water plugs and my favorite senco grapeworm

coachtom2183

Cadet

coachtom2183 said:
Thanx you guys are great I went night fishing in the 84 Canal just east of the lock/spillover on the 26th released several small snook and small tarpon using Yosiri minnow there were also several manatees feeding there.Going out to holiday park tomarrow to check that area out my fisrt time there probably use top water plugs and my favorite senco grapeworm

coachtom2183

Cadet

Thx I fishing was kind of slow in the glades very windy.Kids got a couple with shiners no bites top water or soft plastics.I'm going to go out night fishing the 2nd try the falling tide in the new river hopefully I will be able to castnet some live bait {first time} lots of mullet jumping in the new river.I picked up those lures cant wait to try them out.