Front pads on 1988 Baja Islander 180

lou_ky_it

Cadet
Ok, heres to hoping someone has had to do this before. The wood on the side pads of the open bow rotted and had to be replaced, getting it out was not to bad as the wood was rotted and the t-nuts rusted, broke t-nuts, bolts fell out with ease, ok, now I have to put them back and the starboard side is tight, but I can get a hand in there, however it's like they put the boat together to far to the port side and a hand will not fit up in there, any and all suggestions welcome, in other words HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rndn

Commander
Re: Front pads on 1988 Baja Islander 180

Is it possible to use an adhesive?

lou_ky_it

Cadet

I could have used an adhesive, but that is a whole new bag of worms when you have problems in the future with the wood, which btw was painted with thompsons wood seal in hopes that this does not happen again (-:

What I wound up doing was taping a small ratchet to a small peice of lumber about 1" x 1/2" x 1', then used a peice of paper towel in the socket so the bolt did not fall out while I lined it up, it worked just fine and the pads are back on.

wotherspoon

Recruit

Just FYI...I recently had most of the wood on my 87 180 islander replaced. I thought just a couple of seats were bad but it turned out it was alot more extensive, most of the seats and all of the side panels. So I had it replaced and they used all new nuts because they were rusted. Good luck.