Front of and rear of trailer height difference

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the rear of the trailer is 2 to 3 inches shorter than the height at the hitch, would that cause problems with sway? Need to correct?

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Front of and rear of trailer height difference

Do you mean that the trailer's rear is lower than the front, or if you will use a leveler, the front is higher than the rear?

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by milkyway:<br /> Do you mean that the trailer's rear is lower than the front, or if you will use a leveler, the front is higher than the rear?
Yes, I used a tape measure to determine the difference in the heights up from level driveway.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

The frame of the trailer has to be level horizontally. It does not matter if the hitch is lower or higher than the rear as long as the entire frame is level. A low rear will likely cause sway. A low front will likely cause tight brakes. But even if the frame is flat level, the weight of the rear has to be equalized with the weight of the tongue. Ideal tongue's weight is discussed in your manual, generally between 5 and 7% of total rig's weight.

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I am considering getting a ball mount with a 2 inch drop to correct the problem. Measurements were taken along the trailer frame.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by rg33:<br /> Thanks, I am considering getting a ball mount with a 2 inch drop to correct the problem. Measurements were taken along the trailer frame.
That's the way to correct it. :)

travism

Seaman

Keep in mind that drop measurements on ball mounts are measured from the TOP of the ball mount. Therefore a 2" drop mount on a 2" insert has the base of the ball at the same level as the bottom of the insert.

tommays

Admiral

i dont really believe the trailer can tell if its level<br /><br />if the tongue weight is correct and the wheels are in straight it wont sway<br /><br />when i go on long trips with a lot of stuff in the truck it sits 3" lower compared to a day trip with the bed empty<br /><br />doesent make a bit of difference other than going up hills better empty<br /><br /><br />now that doesent mean you can be off buy 9 inches but dont get crazy about and 1" or 2" unless you going to adjust every time you load changes <br /><br />tommays

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tommays:i dont really believe the trailer can tell if its level
Agree. <br />Only downside I can see is the rear scraping when driving through a dip in the highway, if it's set too low.

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by travism:<br /> Keep in mind that drop measurements on ball mounts are measured from the TOP of the ball mount. Therefore a 2" drop mount on a 2" insert has the base of the ball at the same level as the bottom of the insert.
My present ball mount is at the same level as the bottom of the insert ( ___+ ), plan on getting a mount similar to ( \__+ ) for the 2 inch drop. bad artwork, sorry :(

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by Stillfishing:<br />
Tommays:i dont really believe the trailer can tell if its level
Agree. <br />Only downside I can see is the rear scraping when driving through a dip in the highway, if it's set too low.
I wonder about that also, but in discussions on this subject, the unoffical vote has the trailer level. I guess that is why 2 inch drop ball mounts are made by hitch producers. I think it looks better being towed on a level plane.

Realgun

Commander

Basically you want level so as not to dip to much when stopping normally. You end up pulling in a straight line and when slowing you tend to keep ir straight and not pushing down on the rear of the vehicle.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

and before you get that new ball, check the actual level of the coupler when " attached to your car". Your car's rear ( and the coupler with it) will dip when you attach the trailer. then take the measurement. this way, you get the actual level of the trailer when being towed.

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Went out with a level and set the trailer so that it is level. Backed my SUV up to it and found a 4 inch difference between the height of the ball mount surface when in the hitch and the bottom of the coupler on the trailer. The ball mount I have now has a 1 1/4 inch drop. I wil have to get a 5 1/4 inch drop ball mount to maintain a level trailer.

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Took the boat out with revised towing system and the ride was incredibly smooth. Almost forgot it was back there at some times.

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Having a level trailer makes a big difference -- at least it did for me. My surge brakes were grabby and working very poorly. With the ball attached, the back of the trailer was 6 inches lower than the front. Got a new ball mount that was 2.25" higher and not only did that fix the brake problem, but also made the ride significantly more managable.<br /><br />This is a 7500 pound tandom trailer btw. It may not make as much difference I guess with a lighter load.<br /><br />Amir

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by amir:<br /> Having a level trailer makes a big difference -- at least it did for me. My surge brakes were grabby and working very poorly. With the ball attached, the back of the trailer was 6 inches lower than the front. Got a new ball mount that was 2.25" higher and not only did that fix the brake problem, but also made the ride significantly more managable.<br /><br />This is a 7500 pound tandom trailer btw. It may not make as much difference I guess with a lighter load.<br /><br />Amir
Yes, a level trailer takes a lot of the concern out of towing. It gave me a solid, one unit feel.