From down under

K5WAS

Seaman
The following column was in this morning's Herald-Sun in Melbourne, Victoria, Oz. <br /><br />Hurricane of lies <br />Andrew Bolt <br />07sep05 <br /><br />OF COURSE, it's George Bush's fault. Why miss this chance to blame someone you already hate? <br /><br />So see them line up to kick him over the devastation of New Orleans, and the delays in bringing relief. See some so insane with loathing that they blame him even for Hurricane Katrina itself. <br />Germany's Environment Minister, Jurgen Trittin, for instance, jeered that Bush had been punished for not cutting emissions to stop global warming: <br /><br />"The American President has closed his eyes to the economic and human damage that natural catastrophes such as Katrina -- in other words, disasters caused by a lack of climate protection measures -- can visit on his country," he gloated. Forget that records prove global warming has not made hurricanes worse. <br /><br />The Iraq branch of the al-Qaida terrorist network was just as irrational, claiming evil Bush had felt the "wrath of God". <br /><br />But seemingly more serious has been the hurricane of criticism by Bush's usual political enemies, many of whom use Katrina as a stick to belt him again over Iraq. <br /><br />They claim he was too slow to rescue Katrina's victims, just as he is said to have bungled Iraq. <br /><br />They say he had so many troops in Iraq that too few were left back home to restore order in the chaos. <br /><br />They even say he paid for his war by stripping New Orleans of cash for the levees that broke in the hurricane and drowned the city. <br /><br />And race-baiters imply he is a racist who didn't rush to save New Orleans because most people there were black. Like he doesn't much care for Iraqi Arabs either. <br /><br />But let's rewind the tape to see how New Orleans was drowned -- and check if the President really was at the evil eye of this hurricane. <br /><br />First, some background. New Orleans lies beneath sea level, squeezed between the flood-prone Mississippi and Lake Pontchartrain, linked to the hurricane-breeding Gulf of Mexico. <br /><br />This home of 500,000 people always was, as Scientific American warned in 2001, "a disaster waiting to happen". So in 1965, after another hurricane scare, the local, state and federal governments decided to raise the levees to protect the city from a Category 3 hurricane. <br /><br />That was the original Big Mistake -- a stupid gamble now lost. You see, Katrina was a Category 4 monster when it struck New Orleans. <br /><br />The days before she howled in are like the first bit of a disaster movie -- you know, when some wild expert tries to warn don't-bother-me officials that the apocalypse is coming? <br /><br />Katrina had already licked Florida before moving out to sea to grow still stronger. And then it lurched back -- towards New Orleans. <br /><br />By Friday, August 26, meteorologists and National Guard units were growing nervous. Army engineers deployed along the Mississippi and Louisiana coast. <br /><br />By Saturday morning, the Louisiana Governor asked Bush to declare a state of emergency, which he did, asking federal relief officials to prepare. <br /><br />Emergency teams with stockpiles of food and water were posted outside New Orleans. <br /><br />By now, hurricane buffs were posting warnings on the internet, telling citizens of New Orleans to flee. <br /><br />"If I lived in New Orleans, I would definitely leave at this point. Tonight," wrote one now-famous Notre Dame law student, Brendan Loy, on his blog on Friday. <br /><br />But one crucial man seemed not to be listening -- the (black) Democrat Mayor of New Orleans, former cable executive Ray Nagin, responsible for law and order in his city, and for its evacuation in a crisis. <br /><br />He seemed oddly determined to play it cool. <br /><br />So it was only on Saturday afternoon, less than 48 hours before Katrina was due to hit, that he finally told the people of New Orleans: "We want you to take this a little more seriously and start moving." A little? <br /><br />Those who needed a shelter of "last resort" should go to the city's Superdome, he added, and "bring small quantities of food for three or four days". Small? <br /><br />Only at 5pm did he order a voluntary evacuation, even though the National Hurricane Centre was warning that Katrina was "a worst-case scenario". <br /><br />Complacency ruled. The Weather Channel even reported that tourists were happy the mayor wasn't making them leave. <br /><br />That night, Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco called Nagin at home -- interrupting his dinner, he noted -- and urged him to call the Hurricane Centre for bad news about Katrina. <br /><br />Bush called, too, and appealed for a mandatory evacuation. He seemed to take the threat more seriously than did the mayor. <br /><br />But only the next morning, with Katrina less than 24 hours away, did Nagin finally order his city to be emptied. Yet he did nothing to make sure it did. <br /><br />He sent no police through the streets to sound the alarm. He did not empty the hospitals. He sent no buses to take poorer citizens from this poorest of cities -- people with no car or money to flee. In fact, more than 200 of his school buses were later found neatly parked, still in their depot, up to their useless engines in flood water. <br /><br />So when Katrina struck on Monday, 100,000 people -- largely the sickest and poorest -- were still in their doomed city, half in the Superdome and convention centre. There they found no chemical toilets, few medics, no water purification equipment, not enough police and little food or water. The 26,000 at the Superdome, for instance, had been left food just enough for 15,000 for three days. <br /><br />All this was Nagin's responsibility. Not Bush's. And it explains those pitiful scenes of stranded people begging for food. <br /><br />Meanwhile, looting broke out in a city already notorious for its black underclass and crime. Some of Nagin's ill-disciplined police joined the thieving, and some 200 others reportedly deserted, while rescuers were fired on and had to retreat. Yet the governor delayed sending her National Guards to deal with the looters, or issuing them with a shoot-to-kill policy to impose order. <br /><br />So how much of this was truly Bush's fault, in a federal system that limits his power to intervene? <br /><br />Remember that Katrina roared through an area the size of Britain, and in few other devastated places was there the lawlessness and organisational chaos seen in New Orleans. The governor of neighboring Mississippi even praised the help he got from Bush's people. <br /><br />But how about those other crimes with which Bush is charged? <br /><br />Too many soldiers in Iraq to help? There's plenty now deployed in the hurricane-hit areas to expose that lie. <br /><br />Too much money stripped from the New Orleans levees to pay for Bush's war? In fact, as Dr Shea Penland, director of the Pontchartrain Institute for Environmental Studies, pointed out, New Orleans drowned when the levee broke "along a section that was just upgraded". So not Bush's fault, either. <br /><br />But, then again, do facts really count here? <br /><br />Ask only which story sells best for a Leftist media largely hostile to Bush. A story of some who-cares local official -- and a black, which is tricky -- asleep at the wheel? A story of how hard it is for even the world's greatest power to instantly cope with a colossal disaster? Of how a black underclass seems unable to look after itself? <br /><br />Or would it prefer this fable of a thick and racist president who stuffed up again, like he did in Iraq? In fact, because of Iraq? <br /><br />No contest. So you'll hear a lot more poisonous nonsense yet about Bush, but what's new about that?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: From down under

your still missing the point. the NO disaster is a tiny part. the ball was dropped by all. go outside the NO city limits to places like escatawba MS or deibervile LA or north of gulfport MS. its all gone. about 100% of all structures ceased to be.<br /> FEMA is not designed as a SAR system, its hard to blame FEMA for much at all. however Homeland Security is. also many military pilots were waiting for orders that never came.<br /> the military CANNOT be used for law enforcement in most cases. however those army skycranes can be used to take emergency generators,fuel and supplies to nursing homes and hospitals.<br /> the seabees and the construction battalions can use their bridge spans that can carry tanks and be set up in less than 10 hours. <br /> and yes the army corps budjet was cut due to the war in Iraq. thats just a fact. however even if construction had stated in 01 it would not have been finished until something like 2018. would not have made much difference. I think it was in 89 when the national geographic first showed an animation of what would happen with a cat 5 surge and showed how the levees would be breached and showed how the city would flood. they got it almost perfect street for street.<br /> so my only beef with the fed is they should have known that with no coms and knowing that no matter where the eye hit a cat 5 surge was going to strike most the coast of AL,MS and LA the army,marines, navy and airforce bases should have been ready. to much attention was focused on new orleans. the attention was morbid cause we all knew about what was going to happen.<br /> even my fiancee called me monday with the news she heard that New Orleans had been spared a hit. I told her with a storm that large in the gulf coast a 25 mile miss was the difference between being shot at 50ft VS 40ft. this storm generated a surge of 20-32ft along an area of coast about 250 miles. from mobile AL to western LA. I understand it drained parts of the texas coast completly.<br /> as the investigation unfolds you will find that no one is the root cause of the human disaster but many many dropped the ball.<br /> those of us that lived all our lives in hurricane prone areas know that a 48 hour evac is foolish. to many times the storm track will alter 100 miles east or west. may mean the difference between living or dying. but in this disaster with the LA coast on the west jutting into the Gulf and the FL penninsular on the east and the storm covering almost the entire distance betweem them to the south and the predominate windfield coming from the south east we knew it was going to be bad, real bad. I spent all day sunday trying to get friends and family to leave that area. some did some did not, my family is ok but some friends have not been heard from,yet.<br /><br /> but to assist hospitals and nursing homes and pluck survivors off rooftops requires no state permission from any govenor to allow the U S Military to fly. you have to remember how many Hospitals, VA centers and nursing homes are spread from Mobile AL to western LA.<br /> the scope of trying to evac 1.5 million people or more is staggering cause ya dont know where to evac sometimes. 100-150 miles is just not enough most times and then where do ya shelter them?<br /> our major atlantic storms are very different than major gulf coast storms. I lived in pascagoula when camille came ashore. camille was a very powerful storm but incredibly small for a hurricane. wind field was something less than 100 miles best I remember. this storm had a wind field of like 438 or so.<br /> so all our planning lead to this.<br /> its no one in particulars fault and many will shre the blame,or should, for lapses of about 4 decades. however Bush was lucky enough to have been the elected leader and the commander in chief during this event. he holds the ultimate responsibility for any fed response done or not done by his appointed cabinet and other leaders. its just how the military chain of command works. the authority to respond and plan can be delegated, thats why ya have appointed dept heads, the responsibility for any action or inaction of the dept heads cannot be delegated.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Player hater?<br /> I am not hateing anyone. having lived through some disasters in this area I can tell you from experience the marine and navy helos from cherry point and NAS are here within hours as is the coast guard.<br /> we all know if we stay its 3 to 5 days to get all the roads clear, bridges tested for strucural integrity and command communications and relief worker supply lines set up.<br /> no sense heading in with relief workers if they cant eat or drink either. no sense in sending in 18 wheelers if the bridge will collapse under them. tends to drain what little resorces are left. <br />first lesson in rescue training is always be the rescuer never the rescuee.<br /> training that occasionally is forgotten.<br />had this happened on Clintons or reagans watch or even Ike's the results would have most likly been the same.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I dont think anyone says the feds arent partly to blame, but surely the majority of the blame lies with the NO mayor and the LA state gov.<br /><br />The media has it the other way around, and that gets us a bit upset.<br /><br />Here is a novel idea, why not blame the people for not having enough brains to bring some supplies with them to the dome.<br /><br /><br />Ken

gonefishie

Commander

I mean the foreigners rodbolt! they all blaming Bush because they know he the most powerful man on earth and they use every excuse to smear is image. The German are probably still hate the U.S for whipping their hiney and so are the Iraquis.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

you will find haters for anything<br /> I did read an article in the Virginian pilot where two navy pilots from NAS pensacola were repremanded for assisting with the rescue, they got 100 off the roofs, in the NO area after they completed there mission of fuel drops in the MS area.<br /> the federal govt propably had 3 to 6 thousand helocopters in range,fueled and pilots at the ready on monday. none left the ground. it DOES NOT require any permission from any state or city agency to fly a rescue or supply misson to a nursing home or hospital. it does require permission or direct orders from a commanding officer. or Bush could have told his joint chief of staffs to make it happen. he is actually the head of all military forces so he had the authority do make the phone call. <br /> with all our military might give me one decent excuse why Helicopters were not at every hospital and nursing home in the gulf area on monday afternoon or tuesday morning. just one is all I ask.

KRS

Banned

I agree..... but evac to where? Nowhere was prepared. They could drop them in some hospital without adequate supplies and they wouldn't be *much* better off.<br /><br />It takes time to prepare, I just wish the POSITIVE and GOOD news of success stories there were making it to the news.... but we all know better than thinking they would.

Tinkrrr

Seaman Apprentice

I happen to live in the city of 3 million in which Andrew Bolt publishes his column in the most popular newspaper in the city.<br /><br />Some people think he makes a lot of sense. <br /><br />He's very popular with conservative politicians and commentators who attack anyone who disagree with them as "UnAustralian", an empty term that surfaced only in the last decade or so to shut up people whose arguments couldn't be defeated by rational responses.<br /><br />The rest of us think for ourselves and regard him as the worst sort of journalist who takes a few scattered "facts" and packages them into appealing articles which play to prejudice and uninformed opinion.<br /><br />As long as he keeps that up, he has an assured future.

Tinkrrr

Seaman Apprentice

Double post after edit. I really have to learn the difference between the Edit and Quote buttons.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

hey gonefishie, <br /><br />I think you should do some more research befor telling everyone that "he the most powerful man on earth".<br /><br />The President of the U.S.A. has the responsibility of running one of the most powerfull nation in the world, but he is not the most powerfull man on earth. He mearly an appointed person, who is placed there by what is meant to be a democratic process. He still has to answer to the public for his actions, They put him in charge. If he fails them, he won't be put in charge again. Simple.<br /><br />If you want the most pwerfull man one earth, try looking at Indonesia, or North Vietnam (who kicked who's hiney there? These people have Absolute power of their countries, and military forces. They do not have to answer to anyone for their actions.<br /><br />Further, since this forum is on the World Wide Web, I would be very cautious about useing the term foreigners. The Iboats communitity is made up of people from all over the world. Not just Americans. <br /><br />I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but we should also have enough common sense to know when to express them, and when not to. <br />The artical that K5WAS quoted was the opinion of one person. Not that of every person outside of America. As Tinkrrr pointed out, this journalist is not liked by many people here in Australia.<br /><br />Unfortunatly, he is in media. He doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut, and feels that everyone must be made aware of his opinions and feelings. Whether we want to hear it or not.<br /><br />It is these comments about foreigners that also get all of us here on Iboats branded as Rich White Honkies as in this post.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=010847 <br /><br />Please don't get me wrong, I know that emotions can run deep and strong, I have family in the States. I am not an American hater. But you need to realise that America is not the be all and end all of the world. We are all in this together.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the headsup k5was. Well written article IMHO. I laughed out loud when I read what the German environmental minister said, what a joke! Who takes that guy seriously?<br /><br />You could find plenty of cases where a federal agency stumbled but this article addresses specific criticisms & does a pretty good job, I think.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Anybody that Al Qaeda hates is my buddy.