Friend is esponged

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
A good friend of mine has petitioned the court and won her case having a felony stricken from her record.<br />This story started about 5 years ago. A new family move to town. Not more than a month after moving here I ended up arresting this woman for felony distribution of methamphetamine. She was delivering for her husband, but knew full what she was doing and did so of her own free will.<br />She served time in the county jail for the crime. During her time in jail I helped her get into treatment and N/A meetings. I was impressed that from the start she blamed herself, took responsibility for her actions, and vowed to change. No excuses no blame, just took it upon herself. She was also very upset at what she had done to her kids (5 of them). <br />Since her release she has stayed away from the drugs, kicked her loser husband out. She has also re-married a good friend of mine. He is a long haired guy that rides a Harley, the whole look. But he is a great man and a good friend. Also since then she has become a good friend of mine. Kind of pushed herself into my family until we accepted her as a friend and I am glad we did. She is just a wonderful person now, and has even babysat my children several times.<br />Last month she petitioned the court to have the crime removed from her record. I wrote a letter explaining she has made a complete change in her life, holds a good job, and is a great family leader and community leader. She wants to go back to college but can't follow her carreer because of the felony. <br />The judge was very impressed with her life. He said she has served her punishment and sould be allowed to continue to improve her life. He said it would not be in the interest of justice if he continued to punish her after she has served her time and reformed her life. <br />I am very happy for her and want to give her a pat on the back for her hard work. It has not been easy, but she has made it!

Xcusme

Commander
Re: Friend is esponged

Absolutely outstanding! Some folks get numerous chances to change bad habits and lifestyles, and blow it. I'm glad to hear she got her life back on track. A part of that process is getting help and support from good people like yourself, well done. I hope she continues on to college. It's really nice to get good news for a change!!<br />Thanks for sharing. :)

sue5878

Petty Officer 3rd Class

DD<br /><br />We (Western Australia) have a Spent Convictions Act. Although you have to wait 10 years to have a conviction removed. If the matter was dealt with by a Magistrate in the lower court you can make an application to the Commisssioner of Police (this is generally minor or simple offences and certain indictable offences). If the charge was dealt with on indictment (judge and or jury) the application has to be made to that court.<br /><br />I take it that you have similar legislation, but the time is 5 years, or is it that if you can prove that u have turned your life around the court can remove the conviction?<br /><br />GR

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Great success story DD! It's good to see both her making the effort to improve herself and you extending yourself to give her support. If more people followed her and your examples, we'd have less need for all the programs that only marginally succeed and cost the taxpayer so much.

dolluper

Captain

From this story there DD you serve the Law outstandly you should be proud of yourself and what you have done for society It really makes me feel good to see a member of the police with a heart, and is compasinet in their tough job

eeboater

Commander

Thats a great story DD. I wish I heard more of those kinds of stories than the stories of people who fall back in the trap. I'm happy for her and hope she lives a safe, happy, life!<br /><br />Sean

Twidget

Commander

That is a wonderful story. I really wish there were more like it. <br /><br />You did us all a service and should be proud of helping her back DD. <br /><br />Doug

aspeck

Staff member

Thanks for sharing, DD, and thanks for helping. If more "criminals" could get out of jail and find a support system like DD provided (of course they have to want that), we would all be better off!<br /><br />Had a guy steal a car from us. To make story short, we got him out on work release, and then helped him after jail time. He now has his own car dealership (2 actually) in Florida, is doing very well for himself, goes to church regularly, loves God, and has really made a success out of his life.