Fresh water only - A big factor?

newt

Cadet
As I look around and research boats, I notice a lot of the ads say "fresh water only". Is this as big a factor as the ads may imply? Also, are engines made specifically for salt water or fresh water? For example, I know Johnson? has a saltwater series of engines. What is it that makes an engine more or less suitable for salt vs. fresh?

D

DJ

Re: Fresh water only - A big factor?

Newt,<br /><br />That is a new one on me. I've never seen that before.<br /><br />Saltwater Series engines have more stainless steel compionents than their counterparts. However, just aboout any engine will survive in salt as long as it is properly cared for.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Salt water use is hard on motors, but I think it is the combination of salt water and electrolysis that is the killer. If you buy a salt water motor that was trailered and flushed regularly, you should be OK. Even with the best treatment, though, salt water does some damage. When you remove the head to clean out water passages, you will see the difference in a salt water motor.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Sweet water folks have this fear of the dreaded saltwater. Saltwater in it’s self actually does very little damage to a motor. Its the electrolysis that does you in and phenomenon can occur in sweet water boats also. I’ve seen salt only motors that looked a good as new after 10 years and I’ve seen sweet water motors that I wouldn’t touch after 5 years. It all depends on how the motor was maintained.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello.<br />Salt water by itself does not do a lot of damage as long as the engine is washed out with fresh water after use.If these engines are not properly cleaned inside and out,you will find that replacing simple parts becomes a big problem because the bolts are frozen and will break.Salt and other sediments will lodge in the cooling system and the like.<br />In short, if the engine was not treated the way it should be,you have a potential disaster on your hands.<br />If run in fresh water only,you don't have to deal with this type of problems as much.<br />This is a big difference.<br />Sea engines often are different in the way the outer housing (cowling) is built which makes it very hard for the salt water to get to the outside of the actual engine and thereby gives better protection against big waves.<br />Good luck.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Newt.<br /><br />After restoring two boats that had been exposed to a lot of salt water. . . both engines were trash. . .It makes a huge difference to me.<br /><br />The marine environment is more than just salt water. It is intense sun, salt spray, being run hard in rough water. <br /><br />Things will be loose, tarnished, frozen with electrolysis, UNLESS the boat was thoroughly washed down and flushed after every use and stored dry and under cover. <br /><br />Maybe 10% of salt water boats get that treatment. That is how I kept my Sakonnet new for three years in Ft. Lauderdale.<br /><br />"Fresh water only" means worth at least 25% more to me. :)

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

It's probably not the saltwater by itself, if the salt is flushed out regularly. (Just running regularly helps some, as the dried saltwater deposits do damage.) Electrolysis is a major problem, of course, and saltwater is a better conductor than freshwater.<br /><br />Compared to the freshwater boating I was used to in Lake Michigan, though, the saltwater here in the Chesapeake is clearly more damaging -- and this isn't the highest salinity content as other areas. One of the things I notice more is the "stuff" that saltwater contains -- all of which clogs up little passages. I think it's all the animal and vegetable stuff that thrives in saltwater.

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fresh water only would be a plus to me as well, I'm in the salt and work hard to keep things clean but a boat that has only stayed in fresh water can look good with a lazy owner. A visual of the exterior and under cowl will let you know how well a motor was cared for. It would be difficult for someone to sneak one past you if it wasn't cared for. Be wary of new paint etc. Some fresh water has high mineral content and can be damaging as well. A good lookin over and you'll probably be OK be it fresh or salt.