freezing corn on the cob

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class
Up here in Canada(at least my province) it's corn on the cob time and we just love eating it. My question is is there a way to freeze it on the cob for later and it will still taste good? I have tried a couple of different ways but to no avail. Any secrets from you that can be shared?

cntrydude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: freezing corn on the cob

I blanch the corn in boiling water for 1 minute, remove the ears from the water and cut the corn from the cobb. Put in freezer bags and freeze. Works great.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by cntrydude:<br /> I blanch the corn in boiling water for 1 minute, remove the ears from the water and cut the corn from the cobb. Put in freezer bags and freeze. Works great.
I do the same when ever I get a good batch.

aspeck

Staff member

What cntrydude said. I don't know why you couldn't freeze it on the cob AFTER you blanched it. Would take up more freezer space though.

ehenry

Commander

exactly what cntrydude said but just throw the cob in a bag and freeze. <br /><br />When I want to cream my corn I cut it off the cob, scrape the cob down after you've cut the kernels off. <br /><br />Once you've gotten all your corn cut and scraped, put it in a medium sized bowl and blast in the microwave for 5 to 7 minutes, stir it a couple times. Let cool and sack it up and freeze.<br /><br />I did over 400 ears this way this year.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When I lived in sweet corn country I always froze it on the cob.<br /><br />It must be shucked and blanched within a few hours of being picked. The sooner the better. When it is picked the sugars start to convert to starch. Blanching stops the conversion and keeps it sweet.<br /><br />We went to farms where we paid about $3 a dozen and picked it ourselves. Rush home, Get the 20qt stockpot boiling while we shucked like crazy. Blanch it, cool it in a tub of ice water, half dozen ears in a bag and into the freezer.<br /><br />We usually froze 12-15 dozen ears. That would last us about 6 months. In those days we had a 21cu.ft chest freezer in the garage just for produce and wild game.<br /><br />Time to eat it turned the big stock pot into a steamer.<br /><br />Tasted like it was picked an hour ago.<br /><br />UMMMMM! I can taste fresh frozen sweet corn on the cob just thinking about it. :)

cntrydude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm spoiled, around here in season, we can buy corn 10-12 ears for a buck! I usually don't pay for it at all, as I have a couple of friends that farm it and they let me know when the fields are ready and I go and pick all I want.<br /><br />One last trick I learned to do. When putting the corn in the freezer bags, I fill the sink with water. I take the filled bags of corn and lower them into the water with the opening up. Carefully imerse the bag right to the top before the water spills in. Close the zip seal and remove. This pushes all the air out of the bag almost like vacuum sealing it.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by aspeck:<br /> What cntrydude said. I don't know why you couldn't freeze it on the cob AFTER you blanched it. Would take up more freezer space though.
Yes it does take more space but like JB said 6 months later (and longer if you vac seal them) you cant tell they werent fresh picked.<br />Good stuff

KRS

Banned

And if you cut them in half, they fit on the dinner plate a little better and kids can eat the entire "half" piece.

one more cast

Captain

" And if you cut them in half, they fit on the dinner plate a little better and kids can eat the entire "half" piece."<br /> Are you kidding? My grandkids can eat anywhere from 3-7 whole ears each.Just picked sweet corn and vine fresh tomatoes are what life is all about. I have also froze it on the cob and its pretty good but for truely great corn it needs to go from the stalk directly to the pot ASAP.