Freeze Protection

Here in Abilene we may have a few days of 20 degrees and then it gets back up into the 80s. Naturally I like to use the boat and feed the fish. Can I put a 100? watt bulb under the engine sump in the engine enclosure to prevent freezing??? <br /><br />Mike

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Freeze Protection

So long as the power doesn't go out..!!! <br /> only 4 or 5 plugs... easier to just hop in,+ Drain it....

geriksen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Draining it also can't set the boat on fire. That is a plus.

Capt Ken

Commander

Thats and old trick we used years ago. We'd take one of those trouble lights that had a guard around the bulb, installed a 100 watt bulb and hung it in the engine compartment. It had a two fold purpose. It kept the engine compartment above freezing and the heat from the bulb kept the compartment dry. No moisture, no corrosion. Anything that consumes electricty is a fire hazard, so just take precautions to be safe. Same as back in the old days before city water. We'd do the same to the pump house to keep the water system from freezing. Didn't do much for the cold toilet seats tho.

Ya know, your all correct. I guess I was being lazy. I just went out and drained the derned thing, took 15 minutes. Thanx guys.<br /><br />Mike

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I have been useing a light for years and it works good but the guys are right. If the power goes out or the light burns out you are unprotected. Is really better not to drain bolck and manifold at least for the rust problems. <br />Question I have is does anybody make a tempature senseing heat pad to put under engine. Kind of like the one you put on the water pipes that turn on at 40 degrees.

martinwinte

Petty Officer 3rd Class

boatist,<br /> I don't know of a pad, but, there do make an outlet that turns on at a certain temp (you select) that is pretty cheep. I use one in my pumphouse (to control a 100w light) to keep my water tank from freezing.<br /><br />I'll try to find my info. on it if interested.

Good idea, I wonder if an external oil pan heater like they use in the north would work. It doesn't get real cold here and usually just for a day or two. Man, am I lazy or what... ;) <br /><br />Mike