Freaking Lights Again...

surfmonkey

Cadet
Brake and turn signals work on both sides. When I turn the lights on, they blow a 10 AMP fuse in the vehicle. Found 3 areas where there were exposed wires and fixed them. Same problem over and over. :( Have gone through 6 fuses. :eek: <br /><br />Any ideas? Is it still a ground problem with an exposed wire someplace...driving me nuts. Nuts I said.... :mad:

bubbakat

Captain
Re: Freaking Lights Again...

Yep its a hot wire going to ground.<br />You are gonna have to take an ohm meter and check every light and connection on that trailer to see which one is going to ground. What I do is if the wiring harness is a little old I usually just replace it all<br />If everything else is working without problems then it is in your brown wire at most likely one of the clearence lights

rwidman

Lieutenant

You can get a new wiring harness for the trailer for just a few dollars. Use only adhesive lined heatshrink connectors for splices and put grommets in any holes where the wires pass through. Secure all the wiring with clips or UV stabilized wire ties. There's no reason a properly wired trailer should have electrical problems except at the plug and the flexible portion that connects to the tow vehicle.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The problem is in the brown wire which feeds the tail (running lights). Follow it from the connector to each light and check for cracks, fraying, or pinching. However the easiest test is to first remove the bulbs from each light. Then turn the lights on. If the fuse does not blow, its a light problem, not wiring. Insert the bulbs one at a time and you'll soon find the problem. Generally, one of the tail light bulbs (dual filament) will be the culprit. A filament can break and create an internal short. Also make sure those bulbs are inserted properly. They are keyed to go in only one way but the sockets are made so sloppy many people simply force bulbs in incorrectly and therefore create a lighting problem.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i always unplug my lights before launching. let them cool before you dunk them.

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

ihad the same problem with my trailer got mad one day pulled out all the wiring replaced wiring there was short in the middle of the wiring i would have never found it.just re-wire the trailer saves a lot of headaches.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

i agree with rewiring the trailer kits are cheap and have alot of headaches. if u are finding rubbed though wires its not worth the time to fix them. u can just change with wires if u lights are good. its very easy just make sure u run them where they wont rub though again

T S N

Seaman Apprentice

I bought a trailer once that had one of the clips poked thru the wire. The seller had just replaced the lights and got one clip backwards.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

go to walmart and spend less the=an $10.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not pushing WalMart, but they have the submersible light kit for trailers for less than $50. Just replaced the wiring and lights on one of my boat trailers. It corrects lots of problems.