Francis Got Her Last Licks In....

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Along the Muddy Banks of the Great Ohio River.<br /><br />Herself and I just got home a while ago from 36 hours of watching high water take out bridges, flood peoples homes, close main roads to towns and villages, waiting helplessly for the water to go down to try and restore some order into folks lives. We were with out power for near 24hrs. due to a slip which wiped out a main feed to the area. Some areas are still without power. Even had my StarCraft on standby for a possible rescue of stranded folks in the next town that had to evacuate...we planned to launch on a main road not less!!<br /><br />Then the clean up. Mud every where. Basements flooded. My own house sustained damage. Wind blew some shingles off the roof and the water poured into the bathroom ceiling. <br /><br />We are tired, wrung out and watching the Great Ohio which is still rising. But we are thankful for no loss of life or injuries.<br /><br />Even while dying......Francis was a total BEOTCH!!<br /><br />To all you folks in Florida.....my heart goes out to you....and yet you face Ivan.

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Francis Got Her Last Licks In....

WOW pal!.. glad you and your's are ok.

bubbakat

Captain

Sorry to hear this jim. If you need me just let the e-mail fly and I'll be on my way.

aspeck

Staff member

OBJ, I hear ya and feel your pain. It was a long night for the VFD's around here also. Lots of trees down, flooded homes, etc. Several schools closed this morning, roads inundated. Areas around here were hit with anwhere from 3.5 - 5 inches of rain in a 24 hour period. I know that is nothing compared to Florida and a lot of other places, but it was enough to keep us busy all night!

phatmanmike

Captain

that was sent STRAIT from me in florida.....<br /><br /><br />..... you're welcome, jim :p

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I'm glad you and your family are okay and I think its wonderful when neighbors like you jump in to help whenever needed. Sorry again to hear more heartbreaking news. Francis sure got alot of you. My heart goes out to you.<br />Bassy

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Good to hear that your Okay Jim. Its wierd that I live about a hundred miles or so from you. We had got about 2" of rain here. Not much damage around here though. The eastern part of the state, especially Ashtabula got hit hard. Of course all that water flows right past you.<br /><br />Just about always if a hurricane goes into the western part of Florida, it will make its way up the Ohio River Valley. I just hope a pray that Ivan dies out sooner, but it doesn't look like it at this point.<br /><br />I watch the Huntington Districts website of the Civil Engineers. It gives the lake/river conditions.<br /><br />Hang in there and keep them boots on til it dries out!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Well, some sad and some good news.<br /><br />Four people lost there lives as a direct result of the storm over the area. A little Amish girl was swept off a bridge, an older gentleman had a heart attack while pumping his basement and two elderly ladies drove into a creek when they attempted to go across a flooded road.<br /><br />Good news is the Ohio River has crested about four ft. below the predicted crest and is receeding. Clean up still goes on. Everyone is talking about Ivan and a possible repeat of current events. <br /><br />My puter went out during a power surge yesterday. Hadn't had time to change off the surge arrester and one finally got it. I'm posting from the shop....still gotta work. Would really like a vacation.... :)