Four Winns 2000 Horizon new Owner

Input regarding their experiences and any notable comments they may have on the boat, Volvo Engine or Four Winn dual axle trailers

briangcc

Commander
Mine was an '05 200Le.

It's in my sig...

Pros...Volvo engine was a joy to run. Smooth as could be.

Cons....finding a Volvo dealer in my neck of the woods is now like finding a needle in a haystack. Be prepared to pay out the nose for parts...like 2-3x that of a comparable Merc part. I still have flashbacks to my $1000 fuel pump and that was installed. There isn't a rebuild kit, the marina I worked with asked. No joke.

Boat wise...looked new when I offloaded it. It was covered when not in use and the original vinyl was in tip-top shape.

Trailer wise....well...umm...beyond the Volvo issue, this is the reason I finally said enough was enough. Mine was a tandem. Brake pads needed replacing and I had a reputable local shop do that. Cylinders seized on a long trip - wonderbar. Had the bearings repacked and brakes checked while on vaca and somewhere along the way the trailer wiring shorted....and took out my 30A fuse in my Tundra - no running lights. Rewired the trailer on vaca and on way home brakes froze again. Sat at a local repair shop for 3 weeks as it needed just the calipers which they finally sourced and installed. Then pulling it home, found the outdrive leaking fluid.

Boat and trailer were telling me in no uncertain terms that it no longer wanted to be a part of my family. Traded it in after 12 years of ownership on my current boat.

I miss the V8. I don't miss anything else that went along with it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Model year 2000, that's really getting pretty old, and will need a fair amount of work done even if the fiberglass/composite and interior are still in good shape.
Problem areas are as noted, the fuel pumps were much less reliable than the older mechanical style which I still have. The other common pain in the neck repair is leaky steering actuators, again according to the wizards at VP, they "can't" be rebuilt and they would be happy to sell you a brand new one for $950 or so but that doesn't include labor, and on this job it is easy to spend 5-6 hrs getting that thing out, and getting the new one in. Access is tough on that job because its up against the transom. Just did it on my old '88 H-200.
BTW, there is a way to rebuild those units, if you search around you can find out how.
Everything else, is standard I/O issues, if the boat was maintained it can be OK, if neglected it will make you hate it.
Trailers, well I've redone mine at least 2x in 20 years, I've gotten good at making galvanized drum brakes last and work well....
Good quality wiring, good LED lights and seperate grounds will eliminate most trailer hassles.
I'm one of the few who prefers spring axle trailers, torsion axles ride well but when they need replacement they cost a fortune. I can change a pair of springs in an afternoon for not much dough.
And a galvanized trailer is a must, I would never have a painted steel trailer even in fresh water.

Model year 2000, that's really getting pretty old, and will need a fair amount of work done even if the fiberglass/composite and interior are still in good shape.
Problem areas are as noted, the fuel pumps were much less reliable than the older mechanical style which I still have. The other common pain in the neck repair is leaky steering actuators, again according to the wizards at VP, they "can't" be rebuilt and they would be happy to sell you a brand new one for $950 or so but that doesn't include labor, and on this job it is easy to spend 5-6 hrs getting that thing out, and getting the new one in. Access is tough on that job because its up against the transom. Just did it on my old '88 H-200.
BTW, there is a way to rebuild those units, if you search around you can find out how.
Everything else, is standard I/O issues, if the boat was maintained it can be OK, if neglected it will make you hate it.
Trailers, well I've redone mine at least 2x in 20 years, I've gotten good at making galvanized drum brakes last and work well....
Good quality wiring, good LED lights and seperate grounds will eliminate most trailer hassles.
I'm one of the few who prefers spring axle trailers, torsion axles ride well but when they need replacement they cost a fortune. I can change a pair of springs in an afternoon for not much dough.
And a galvanized trailer is a must, I would never have a painted steel trailer even in fresh water.
Thx for the feedback. Will use your input

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Get a bright flashlight and look around in the engine compartment for leaks, motor oil, power steering, and trim system. As I said above if the steering actuator leaks it is an expensive job both due to parts cost and labor. The actuator is behind the engine, the part that leaks is on the starboard side behind the starbord side exhaust elbow. Here's a pic of the older style actuator on my 1988 that I just replaced I had to remove the rear seats, both exhaust manifolds to get at it. There are 4 cotter pins that have to be removed and all four will give you hell on this job....
Depending on where the leak is, the Volvo style ones can be rebuilt for approx half the cost of new. You should turn the helm to expose the cable and grease the cable end one time per season, that helps keep the cable from sticking.
Other things to check while poking around in the bilge, are the oil pan (rust/leaks) and dipstick tube that attaches to the oil drain area of the pan, the pans often start to rust out there. Check all the trim lines for leaks.
If you need a starter, they can be difficult to replace as well, I've done mine 3 times over the years, and like the ARCO PMGR starter that I installed back in the spring of 2020, they crank over faster and draw less current than the old heavy Delco direct drive style.
The boats are good, they are seaworthy and have a good running hull in rough water. The engines are simple GM marine engines but the EFI systems can be troublesome especially at that age. Drives are good, again age, use and maintenance are important.
Trailers, well they are a pain when they get old, it is what it is.
A new boat like this is well over 50 grand look at it that way.

Attachments

• steerng actuator removal.jpg
    steerng actuator removal.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • steering actuator intalled.jpg
    steering actuator intalled.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • cotter pin extractor.jpg
    cotter pin extractor.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Get a bright flashlight and look around in the engine compartment for leaks, motor oil, power steering, and trim system. As I said above if the steering actuator leaks it is an expensive job both due to parts cost and labor. The actuator is behind the engine, the part that leaks is on the starboard side behind the starbord side exhaust elbow. Here's a pic of the older style actuator on my 1988 that I just replaced I had to remove the rear seats, both exhaust manifolds to get at it. There are 4 cotter pins that have to be removed and all four will give you hell on this job....
Depending on where the leak is, the Volvo style ones can be rebuilt for approx half the cost of new. You should turn the helm to expose the cable and grease the cable end one time per season, that helps keep the cable from sticking.
Other things to check while poking around in the bilge, are the oil pan (rust/leaks) and dipstick tube that attaches to the oil drain area of the pan, the pans often start to rust out there. Check all the trim lines for leaks.
If you need a starter, they can be difficult to replace as well, I've done mine 3 times over the years, and like the ARCO PMGR starter that I installed back in the spring of 2020, they crank over faster and draw less current than the old heavy Delco direct drive style.
The boats are good, they are seaworthy and have a good running hull in rough water. The engines are simple GM marine engines but the EFI systems can be troublesome especially at that age. Drives are good, again age, use and maintenance are important.
Trailers, well they are a pain when they get old, it is what it is.
A new boat like this is well over 50 grand look at it that way.
Thx so much for the wealth of information. I purchased the Horizon with only 114 hours on Volvo Penta. Original owner with every document ( initial and service records, just done 6 months ago. Had trailer checked out and passed well. I will keep an eye open for all you mentioned. Thx again. Safe boating