Found this loose in the bilge, transducer?

Frozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
New to me boat, going through it all. Found this loose in the bottom the bilge, have not traced the line back yet. I'm guessing a thru-hull transducer for the fish finder, but not sure. It says RADARSONIC

5715176046_77a7e72b2b_z.jpg

5714612647_000e1c4458_z.jpg

5714612427_428fd8a83b_z.jpg

Wrongsyde

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Found this loose in the bilge, transducer?

Yup! Sure looks like a transducer. If I'm not mistaken it probably didn't work very well if it was loose; all the install instructions ask that a thru-hull be bedded in epoxy on the hull to conduct the sound waves.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

New to me boat, going through it all. Found this loose in the bottom the bilge, have not traced the line back yet. I'm guessing a thru-hull transducer for the fish finder, but not sure. It says RADARSONIC

/QUOTE]

That would be my guess. Sure give away would be to follow the wires back to where a mount (or mounting holes) for the head unit used to be.

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's a transducer for the fish finder for sure.

Two options:

1. Reinstall it to "shoot thru the hull" (if not aluminum hull). Look for a spot where it may have been previously -- some sort of glue, epoxy, caulk, etc. where it was stuck down. When reinstalling be sure to get ALL air pockets out of whatever you use as glue. Some suggest silicone as it's easy to pull it back up if need be (e.g. if you're not getting good readings at speed).

2. Could it have been transom mounted (and subsequently just thrown in the bilge)? Look for a bracket or holes on the outside of the boat near the bottom of the transom. Reinstall depending on what you find.

Or, if you have the $$ and want to replace it with a better\newer unit just do that. Easy install just follow the instructions.

Good luck.