found outboard without crown need help identifying it

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class
i was fishing on a pear when i seen a sail boat floating around.so after about 2 hours it floated by shore.so i looked on the side and it had 1991 stickers.this thing was old as the hills.so i got on bored and it was overflowing with trash bags.so i started moving some trash just to see down under.so after about 5 Min's i seen this all white outboard without its crown.my eyes lit up i said yeaaa got me another OMC.so i climbed down and unsecured the clamps right then my foot when through the bottom of the hull and got stuck.so im trying to pull my foot out and trying finally it pulls out.now water is poring in this thing so i am trying to grab this outboard as fast as i can and its stuck on something and water is just poring in.so finally it pops of the stand and im trying to get through all the trash but im tripping and cant really move that well through the trash and this thing was not light at all.so finally fear kicked it that this boat is going down and its really deep where it was sitting but i refuse to let this outboard go thinking it was a OMC so finally with a burst of energy i riped through all this trash and got on land.there was a nice outboard stand and a gas tank on the boat still so i jumped back on board and there both underwater so i just said forget about it.so i have the outboard on land and i look on the side and it says Montgomery wards.i was so pissed and disappointed i really wanted to see OMC.but it had no crown so i have no idea the year or HP the model number is vib52118b i think thats what it is.the ser #. is 38x273.i think thats what it says not sure tho its hard to read.thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: found outboard without crown need help identifying it

That is an interesting story.
That is probably VWB most likely a Chrysler.Possibly a 82 15 hp.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok thanks.are you sure tho because i might need to get parts for it.i think its worth looking into because the fly wheel turns with ease.and also the oil for this would be 50:1????and also i need to find a crown for it.

Last edited:

Drowned Rat

Captain

So, you sunk some poor guys boat and stole his outboard.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, you sunk some poor guys boat and stole his outboard.

dont say it like that.and i dont think this thing would stay floating much longer anyways.it was on its last limb.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

heres a few pics maybe someone can recognize the year and hp

Attachments

• P7060229.JPG
    P7060229.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P7060230.JPG
    P7060230.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P7060235.JPG
    P7060235.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P7060233.JPG
    P7060233.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 0

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, that's a Chrysler-built 15, Hitace. Can't tell the year. Pretty close to a POJ, in my never humble opinion, but it was free, so you got your bux worth.

You might have a real problem if Maryland titles outboards like Texas does. Salvage laws are pretty complex. I hope you aren't going into trouble.

CATransplant

Admiral

Well, Hitace, I'm sure you reported this boat to the authorities after it sank, right? I mean, who knows what the situation was. It's unusual for a boat to just come floating by. Perhaps its owner was ill or in some kind of trouble, perhaps having fallen off the boat.

What did the authorities say when you reported the boat that sank after you put your foot through the hull?

I hope the owner is OK, and was found safe. Please let us know what happened after you called the authorities. I'm going to worry about this until you do.

CATransplant

Admiral

I just read JB's message. Maybe the Maryland authorities will be able to identify the owner of this outboard motor that you saved from sinking and locate its owner.

Did you give them the serial number? If outboards are registered there, they should be able to look it up and get it back to its rightful owner, assuming that the owner is OK.

I can't quite read the number in that photo you posted. Maybe the authorities can enhance the photo or could just come and read it off the outboard.

Where was it that you found this boat?

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

i reported the boat number to the police and they said the owner was dead in 1992 and thats all they would tell me.i gave them the sr # for the ourboard to and they had nothing on it.im guessing someone was using it as a trash boat for a while there was tire rims and tree trunck on it.so i guess the outboard is free.

Last edited:

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

what kind of fuel conector will i need for this. heres a pic

Attachments

• P7060236.JPG
    P7060236.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 0

Drowned Rat

Captain

Go back to the boat and "salvage" the fuel tank. It's a Chrysler connector.

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maryland state police report:
"ARNOLD, MD (July 2, 2007) - Maryland Natural Resources Police charged four juveniles Monday with felony theft over $500 and unauthorized use of a motor vessel in conjunction with an incident that occurred last month.

Acting on a complaint from a boat owner, NRP units responded, and after conducting an investigation, located four suspects, who confessed to stealing one 1989 Bayliner boat with a 1990 115 hp Evinrude outboard motor from Mill Creek in the Magothy River behind the Birchwood Community pier and an additional 1982 Sea-King 15 hp outboard motor, which has yet to be recovered, from another vessel on Grays Creek near Dobbins Island on June 26 between 4 and 5 p.m.

The four were each charged on juvenile citations with two counts of felony theft over $500, and one count each of unauthorized use of a motor vessel."

I sure hope you actually called the police on this one. I dont know the penalty for recieving stolen property in Maryland, And I dont think you want to find out the hard way.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the info.dont worry i called the police.i wouldint want to find out the hard way lol.

ovlo

Cadet

I wouldnt touch that deal with a 10 foot pole

you should throw that crapshack back into the water where you found it.

Just wanted to say this was a very interesting thread to read.It made me want to sign up after reading it.Thanks:)

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Funny, about five years ago I was working at a local marina on a 43' Viking and I got out of the engine room and off the boat (I am a marine diesel field tech) to get something- I see this boat coming to the dock, and realize it is drifting in to the face dock of the marina. I literally put my foot out and stopped it from crashing. It came in to a slip right between two other boats!

The boat was an early 80's flybridge Bayliner of about 24' or so. It was covered in bird crap, and had garbage bags all over it. I noted a rotted crab trap type line on the bow. The waterline was covered in barnacles. I looked at the rear and the outdrive was a mass of oysters, could not tell if it was OMC, Volvo or Merc!

I grabbed a line on the dock and tied it secure, and went up to the marina office as I had to go that way anyhow. They said the boat which was anchored out in the mooring/anchorage in the river belonged to a former mechanic that had worked there. They said he was probably the best mechanic and the worst alcoholic they had ever seen. He was in jail and wasn't getting out soon on some domestic assault charges and stuff. I think he owed the marina money for the boat or something.

They asked if I wanted the boat. Huh? They said they'd let me have it for the hoist fee and loan me a trailer to get it there. I did not even have to think about that one, NO THANKS! I'm sure the raw water cooled engine was probably seized up with corrosion, the fabulous construction of an early 80's Bayliner would have rotted wood everywhere, and it would be an albatross on blocks in my back yard. Later the rigger at the place told me he took it home.

I have no regrets about passing that one up.:cool:

Well Hitace, you haven't posted anything in a few days. Just wondered if they've come for you or the motor yet?

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

lol no im still here i got it to run but any bare steel is rusted to hell and as soon as i tryed to take of a bolt it broke right off.so this thing might be a parts motor on ebay.