Found a 120hp Force outboard for my boat- have questions

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My boat is a 1990 bayliner capri 18.6" with a 90hp force outboard that runs great. It tops out at 37mph on smooth water, will get around good with full capacity and pulls a tube ok. Also decent on gas. But it leaves me wanting more.

After looking here and there over the last year. I found a 90-92 120hp force outboard for sale.

boat and engine were winterized and parked 8 years ago. The owner got sick and passed away recently. His family is selling things now. The boat was left uncovered and is trash but the engine is for sale. The seller says all cylinders tested 125psi, they didnt look rusty inside the cylinder either. Says the engine fired when spraying starting fluid in it, but hasnt run it yet due to the rubber fuel lines and primer bulb being damaged. Is in the works of getting new ones to run it in a tank of gas. Seller is asking $1100, but is willing to neogotiate.

This motor is basically identicle to mine and the controls look the same. it would be a straight forward swap and should make a nice improvement over the 90hp on my boat currently.

Im asking for advice, and any input from the boating community here. I'm weary that it sat for 8yrs untouched. could the main bearings have become rusty? idk what things other than the obvious stuff to look out for.

force91

Cadet
Re: Found a 120hp Force outboard for my boat- have questions

i would definitely check wires and see if everything looks in proper order the carbs may need a cleaning if not a rebuild new diaphragm in the fuel pump check spark i know when i got mine it didnt fire on all 4. mine sat for 4 years before i got a hold of it

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If it was winterized,there should be no rust or corrosion in the bearings?
But setting for 8years it could have gotten moisture in it.
I've seen motors set for 9-10 years,clean carb and it fired and ran,no problems.
If you buy you'll have a 90hp backup.
You might need a different prop.Post what's on NOW and what the NEW is?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

How much more do you want? The extra 30 HP will only give about 5 MPH more top speed but the hole shot will be a lot faster. If this will satisfy you then by all means buy the engine. If not, walk away.

I would not worry about the 8 year no use situation. These engines if having been run and not damaged, can sit for long periods. However, you would do all the basic maintenance before running it. IE. change water pump impeller, change fuel pump diaphragm, lower unit oil, add fuel filter etc. I would also squirt a bit of TCW-3 into each cylinder and carb before starting it and running the first time.

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Honestly I was hoping for a 10mph gain. I would be ok with 45mph top speed and be able to cruise at 35 (90hp top speed). The engine I have now runs great and is a good motor, gets around ok with a full load and will pull a tube fine, I just have the urge for more power. But if Im only gonna pick up 5mph (and my hole shot is pretty dang fast now)... idk if its worth the money and work to swap. current prop is a 15pitch x 13.75 or something like that. I know its 15 pitch. ill assume the 120 has a 17 or 19 pitch

smax

Cadet

I just swapped an 85hp Force for a 125hp Force on my 16.5' bass boat. I only gained about 6mph wot top speed, but the hole shot and mid range power is much better. I can cruise on plane much easier and the boat is able to handle rough water much better. Overall it made the boat easier to handle because the 125 can get my boat up more on the pad than the 85 ever could.

"B"

Seaman Apprentice

I've been doing a lot of reading here and elswhere about upping the power and find a great number of warnings not to overpower the boat. In some states I'm sure there is no limit on doing that, but it seems most think it is asking for trouble as far as handling and weight and such. My 85 weighs in around 277lbs. and is on a 1700 Spectrum aluminum hull and it sits good in the water wouldn't adding more weight cause the back of the boat sit lower in the water? And with that wouldn't this make the holeshot more difficult or counter the added hp? Just asking.........

smax

Cadet

My boat is rated for 115hp and normally I wouldn't overpower a boat, but the Force 125 is probably actually a 110 at Best and it is still lighter than actual 115's of the era. It only weighs about 35-40 pounds more than the 85 that came off the boat and the 85 was probably more like a 70.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

working copy.jpgresized55.jpg000_0049.jpg102_0250.jpg102_6448.jpg

This little 14 footer was powered with a Force 125. As you can see, it sits very low in the water BUT with the 125 there is so much power that on the hole shot it bounces once and is planing--probably in 2 or 3 boat lengths.

And this 15 footer was originally powered with a 90 and is repowered with a 120. The extra weight of the engine is offset by the extra torque and power and again, hole shots are fast.

SO, adding weight to the back of the boat in the form of a higher horsepower engine does not necessarily detract from hole shot performance.

OH, BTW: The 14 footer was originally powered with a Force 90 and achieved 55 MPH top speed. When I swapped on a Force 125, top speed went to 60.

The gain in speed will vary from hull to hull but will almost always be less than 10 MPH. You must quadruple horsepower to double speed so a gain of about 35% just can't give you a lot more speed. Somewhere around 10% more speed.