fouling plugs on 1968 Chrysler 70hp

At first i had no spark so i brought it to a guy who replaced my points and then replaced the ignition module with a coil and condensor due to not being able to find a new ignition module. Now it runs great when i am going at a descent speed, but as soon as i idle for about 2 minutes, the spark plugs foul out on me, mainly the bottom cylinder. I have been using the same gas/oil mixture since before it broke down and it never did it before. Could i try running a hotter plug in it? Or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: fouling plugs on 1968 Chrysler 70hp

It sounds to me like your lower puddle valve is getting plugged up. It's not difficult to clean. It's just hard to explain how to access them. I've got mine soaking in gasoline right now. One word of caution, be careful of the gaskets as they are hard to find. But, you could probably fabricate your own gaskets too.

Thanks for info... however i have no idea what the lower puddle valve is. Could you possibly tell me where it is located? Also, I have noticed a large amount of black coloring on my boat and motor when i do go at slow speeds(this was before it broke down) does that sound like it fits in the category with the lower puddle valve? Thank you again.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It could also be the type of oil you are using. I use Pennzoil or Walmart. I would suggest going to ebay and bidding on a Seloc manual for your engine. It's well worth it and really necessary for your engine.