Forward and reverse gear very stiff

Danny_P_G

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

When i put the boat in gear ( without it running ) it seems very stiff , i have never ran a boat on the water and was just wondering if this is normal , i know its not the gearbox as i had the lower end off and i could move the rod ok , but when i connect it all back up its stiff ,

I have greased the nipples and worked it back and forth it got a bit better but its not really easy but it does go in forward and reverse with a little force .

is this normal ?

Thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Forward and reverse gear very stiff

I have no idea what motor you have or whether it's tiller or remote controls, but all motors tend to shift easier when running...

Danny_P_G

Seaman Apprentice

sorry 1967 Johnson outboard 33hp

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

danny. is it tiller or remote control???to get good help, you have to give good info, please.

Danny_P_G

Seaman Apprentice

dont really know what you mean but its got cables that you fit on from the control box to the engine ! whats tiller or remote control ?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

tiller you sit in the back and control with the tiller arm, you have remote. disconnect the cable at the engine, manually shift the engine, you have to turn prop when shifting , that may be your problem, if the engine shifts smoothly, the go to the controller and work the cables they very well may need replaceing especially if original. if they work freely, reconnect and look for place it could be binding sharp turn in the cable etc.