Ford says it is matching GM employee program......

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Ford says it is matching GM employee program......

I believe I heard last night where Chrysler was starting an "employee discount" here shortly...<br /><br />IMHO, "employee discounts" are pure B.S......

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> I believe I heard last night where Chrysler was starting an "employee discount" here shortly...<br /><br />IMHO, "employee discounts" are pure B.S......
I agree, the only GM car worth having is not included in the discount program, and thats the Corvette, they can keep all that other crap.<br />maybe they should try selling some of it to the Chinese.

aspeck

Staff member

Ford and Chrysler are both starting their programs and GM is extending theirs. It is looking more like the dealers are going to be stuck with this program for a long time - no negotiating, pay one price. Unless, of course, a trade is involved. Definately a market for used car shops to start promoting their "purchasing" of pre-owned vehicles so the buyer of the new vehicle can shop his or her old vehicle around for the best price.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have to wonder the validity of this "employee price" and how long it will last. GM posted their best sales $$$$ month in 19 years. But how much profit did they make? That you don't hear.<br /><br />On local radio it was announced that Chrysler was goin got do the same discount but that Ford wasn't planning to. So I don't know.<br /><br />But I am very skeptical. If it was indeed employee pricing, and the employee pricing were that good, then the manufacturers couldn't afford to do it very long.<br /><br />Seems like BS to me too.

JRJ

Commander

It appears to me that we have all been paying way to much for a long time. There is still a profit for the dealer and factory at the "employee" price. Trades are taking a hit, which is a problem for those that have little equity in their vehicle.

eeboater

Commander

As long as the American Automakers are generating more income... I am fine with it. <br /><br />BUY AMERICAN AND BE PROUD OF IT!<br /><br />Sean

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

GM has had an employee purchase program for years; I don't know the discount level or all the details but IIRC the UAW helps administer it by handling the actual order-taking from the employee.<br /><br />At the very least the current promotion is a decent marketing gimmick and I'm sure they'll keep it up as long as they continue to be stuck with excess inventory of their larger gas guzzlers, which were originally priced to have higher than average profit margins anyways. <br /><br />At this discount level GM is pretty much breaking even and the dealers are making a decent profit.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Here's an idea. Instead of incentives for existing employees, use the "lost" revenue to hire more employees.<br /><br />Just a thought.<br /><br />Chris...............

imstillatwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They don't have sales like this because their business is doing great.....or because their cars are great quality...They've been desparate for years. Their heavy vehicles are all the keeps them alive. Their cars are a JOKE!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

A bit of trivia to add in...<br /><br />I work at a GM dealership and the results have been the most successful ever seen. There has been an increase in sales of 41% with the trucks leading the way. This is inventory that is on the lot and it was a good move. True profits are down but as a whole picture volume = profit.<br /><br />The average "domestic" vehicle (Ford, GM, Chy) built in the US generates on the average of $25,000 in tax revenue. That comes from taxes collected from parts manufacturers, american made parts... etc which is a great boost to all our economic areas. Profits go to supporting employees and retired people in the car business. Taxes that are used to support our communities and families. American made foreign cars (Toyota Honda Nissan) generate an average of $2500 in tax... a poor economic solution. The excess profit supports foreign countries. You do the math. <br /><br />I applaud the big three on the Sale.<br /><br />Bob

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bob - Those tax stats are most interesting. They are a clear indication that the "American made" foreign cars aren't at all - the pieces parts are made in Japan, etc., shipped to the US and assembled by Americans. Yeah, it does create jobs here but they still aren't American made.<br /><br />ee - I'm with you - BUY AMERICAN - I'm tired of seeing all the rice rockets sporting American flags and other patriotic stuff - I'd rather see the owners support America and American workers in an American made vehicle.