Ford Ranger as a puller?

titanfan

Recruit
I am new to the forums and have a simple question. The wife and I are considering a boat. We currently ride a motercycle for our entertainment, but now want to boat instead. We believe most of our boating would be just the 2 of us and think that an 18 or 19 footer would do us fine. At our age, skiing and boarding would give way to "slow" tubeing, running the river, and making new freinds.

I currently own an "03 Ranger Edge 4wd with a 3.0 v-6. It runs very good and I would have it gone through before pulling on a regular basis. The tow rating is 3860. Several boats would be below or just at this weight. I was wondering if anyone does, or has, pulled a boat with a Ranger?

My main concern would be the ramps. I would be concerned about stopping the boat down the ramp as well as pulling out of the water. I would not be pulling it any more than 20 miles with no interstate or US highways to travel. I know a bigger tow vehicle would be a cure all, but would like to save a payment until the economy turns a corner ...... or two. Any thoughts are welcomed.

A Potts

Cadet
Re: Ford Ranger as a puller?

For over 10 years I pulled a 17 ft bay boat center console with an S10. I had the manual transmission and the 4.3 V6. Drug that boat all over the state of Texas, from Lake Texoma to South Padre Island. I did not have any problems. The only thing I added was an air bag system to level up the truck.
Trailer brakes would be a good option.

A. Potts

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Power wise you'll be good in 4 low. Weight wise could be a challenge though. Weigh the truck and make sure the boat is lighter than the truck.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It will pull that weight up any decent launch in 2wd without raising the revs above 1700. Should tow nice, Ford truck after all. :cool:

No overdrive tho pulling that load, 20 miles, that's cake.

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont think it would be a issue. The 3.0 may be a bit slow up hills though. I have towed 2 20' footers and my 17' with our 99 Explorer with a 4.0.

Its doggish up hills, and i would go cross country with it, but for going 5 miles to the boat launch it has been fine, and never a issue at the ramp so far.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

it will be fine- ramp will not be the issue but hiway might.

Shizzy

Ensign

thats a decent little truck. what gears are in it? I have the same year Edge (2WD) with the 4:10 gears and have never had an issue with power with all the loads I have had in it. it has decent brakes. as long as you pick a boat under the rating of the truck you will be fine. I only have a small aluminum boat, but I cant even tell its back there.

Just remember one thing..... Its only a Ford Ranger and not an F350 and you will be fine.

fsds123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a 1998 Ranger 2WD with the 3.0 and towed a 16ft deck boat all the time, from 120 miles round trip to 400 miles round trip, usually with the bed loaded with firewood and the boat loaded with camping equipment. It was not the quickest by far, but we kept it at 60 mph and had zero problems both with towing and at the ramps.

bbp42d

Recruit

check the gears. my bet it has 4.10s. my 99 ranger 4.0 4x4 s/c tows my 18ft stingray just fine.

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The truck will PULL the boat. When you need to STOP fast, the truck will show its real load limitation. Forget about highway speeds being stable.

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Power wise you'll be good in 4 low. Weight wise could be a challenge though. Weigh the truck and make sure the boat is lighter than the truck.

Do the thousands of tractor trailer trucks on the road out weigh the trailers they tow? Look around next time you are driving and you will see (at times) dually pickup trucks pulling 10,000 lb plus ++++ boats on triple axle trailers. That is IF you are around a marine environment.

PolishPrince

Seaman

The Ranger will do a fine job for the short haul you're making. You can make almost any truck pull a trailer 10 times it's tow rating...............but not for long. Make sure the auto trans has an external cooler. If not - Get One.
Keeping the engine and tranny cool is the key to success. Putting it in 4LO coming out of the ramp should be the ticket too. The Ranger is one tough little truck. I had three of them before I went into an F150 Super Crew. I know when my 24' pontoon is back there, but I pulled a friend's 20-something ft. sailboat, and I never knew it was back there.

I pulled a 18ft mark twain 20miles (mostly interstate) to Clator lake this afternoon, with a 97 ranger 4.0 5 speed 355 gear ratio. A safe and stable ride, but not as fast as behind my Dads V10 F350.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

The truck will PULL the boat. When you need to STOP fast, the truck will show its real load limitation. Forget about highway speeds being stable.
That's what trailer brakes are for.

Do the thousands of tractor trailer trucks on the road out weigh the trailers they tow? Look around next time you are driving and you will see (at times) dually pickup trucks pulling 10,000 lb plus ++++ boats on triple axle trailers. That is IF you are around a marine environment.

Both are safe with good trailer brakes. Neither is something I would want to be within a kilometer of without.

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's what trailer brakes are for.

Both are safe with good trailer brakes. Neither is something I would want to be within a kilometer of without.

Next time you pull a boat try it with a larger vehicle also. See how it handles stopping the boat in an emergency and see if the larger vehicle made NO difference even though the trailer had trailer brakes. Also most trailer brakes after a couple years of use are lacking. Go look at salt water used trailers that have brakes if you want better proof.
Point here----larger vehicles make a big difference in emergency stopping safety.

mrsemi05

Seaman Apprentice

hey that truck is built good enough to pull that. its equal to a chevy 1500 and thats chevy half ton truck so it will pull no problem

reelfishin

Captain

I've been driving and towing with Ford Ranger pickups for years, my current truck is a 1994 4 cylinder and it pulls my 18' cuddy cabin just fine at about 1700lbs. My truck, being 2 wheel drive slips a bit on the ramp from time to time but a little common sense is all it takes.
I'd prefer it was a 3.0L truck but I make due with what I have since it's paid for.
On the road, its never an issue. As when towing with anything, you have to drive accordingly. I've not owned a trailer with brakes in 25 years and it's never been an issue even with a smaller truck.
I've got just over 120,000 on my current Ranger, and it's towed probably more than half of those miles.
My biggest complaint about this truck is the super tall rear ratio, but it's done fine with it. If the rear ever fails, I'd most likely upgrade to an 8.8" rear and a 4.10 gear but for now it works.

Tomb77

Cadet

I had a 1999 ranger with a 4.0 4x4 5 speed that pulled my 17 foot no problem did a 1000 mile trip and no problem. But we got a 21 foot 1884 proline this year and the truck said no way so upgraded to a f350 and yes a big truck makes a big differance in ride and safety.

CaptOchs

Petty Officer 1st Class

The wife and I are considering a boat. We believe most of our boating would be just the 2 of us and think that an 18 or 19 footer would do us fine.

I currently own an "03 Ranger Edge 4wd with a 3.0 v-6. It runs very good and I would have it gone through before pulling on a regular basis. The tow rating is 3860. Several boats would be below or just at this weight.

My main concern would be the ramps. I would be concerned about stopping the boat down the ramp as well as pulling out of the water. I would not be pulling it any more than 20 miles with no interstate or US highways to travel. I know a bigger tow vehicle would be a cure all, but would like to save a payment until the economy turns a corner ...... or two. Any thoughts are welcomed.

Where did you get the 3860 lbs from? Are you positive it has the 4:10 gears? A ford dealer can verify it based on your VIN: See http://www.trailerlife.com/images/downloads/03towingguide.pdf Depending on what your Ranger is equipped with, it can tow 2360 or 3820lbs. Is this a manual or automatic?

I would think you're fine as long as you keep to the tow limit and take it easy. The NADA guides will likely tell you the weight of the boat you're looking at. http://www.nadaguides.com/. It doesn't factor in gear & gas so be sure you do. If you want to save on weight, consider an outboard. They are less weight. I wouldn't worry about the ramps. You'll be a lower gear, so you'll have more torque. It's a smaller truck but you'll have 4 wheel drive in case your rear tires slip.

MudSkunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

unfortunately obama has jammed the gas to the floor and tossed the emergency brake lever out the window as he drives the economy to disaster. so i wouldnt get rid of your truck. your 4wd package trumps a lot bigger 2wd vehicles. maybe adding trailer breaks to whatever your towing would be a way to go along with picking a lighter boat. aluminum hull is a good thing to consider if looking for larger light weight boats.