Force will not start??

crump

Cadet
I have just purchased a boat with a 1987 Force 85hp. My first run on the water went like this. Hard to start but did run. Ran motor for aprox. 10 min. at 3/4 to full throttle. Overheat alarm sounded. Would go to idle for a couple minutes and alarm would go out. Run again for a few minutes and alarm sounded again. Eventually motor stopped running and paddled back to dock before I could motor back. Changed impeller and thermostat. Motor fired up at home and seemed as if it would run. Got to lake and put in water and used up all battery power and motor did not crank. Also removed spark plugs and installed new thinking maybe one or more was fouled out. Seemed to make it worse rather than help. Engine seemed to be even less likely to fire off and start. Where do I go from here??? and how can I improve my starting capability. Initial start up uses a big portion of my battery.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force will not start??

Welcome to iboats crump.

Starting procedure:

Open fuel tank vent

Check the kill switch, place in "run" position

Squeeze fuel primer bulb till firm.

Advance the throttle 3/4 way, without putting it in gear. -- This is done by either pushing a button in the center of the controls, or pulling the shift handle toward the driver, or raising the fast idle lever, all depending on what control unit you have.

Activate the choke by pushing in on the key. The valve is only open while the key is being pushed in.

Turn the key to start while continuing to hold the key in.

Release the key and choke when it starts.

3-5 seconds of "choke", is usually enough.

Be ready to pull the throttle back toward the idle/neutral position, when the engine starts and the revs increase.

Continue to pull the throttle back as the engine warms up.

You should not have to use the choke much, if at all, once the engine has warmed up.

Engine should start within 10 seconds of turning the key.

I would do a compression and spark test before going out again.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Do compression test to see if you cooked the head.J

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

possible lean condition,causing the motor to run hot.Do as previously suggested, and run a spark and compression test to verify no motor damage,and if it's all ok, start by checking the fuel system.If you have no records of what service has been done,I would start with a fuel pump rebuild[diaphragm,check valves,then clean the fuel recirculation lines,check the vent in the tank to be sure of proper venting,and the fuel bulb,if old and dry rotted ,replace it and the fuel lines them self, install a cheap inline fuel filter between the fuel pump and carb, and then pull the carbs to clean and check].This should take care of any fuel related issues you have [assuming the tank is clean]. Keep us posted as to what you find.

john from md

Commander

If you don't know the maintenance history of the engine, it is better to start from the "waking a sleeping engine" tread in the maintenance forum FAQ. This way you can eliminate potential causes and give your engine the proper maintenance that it requires.

John

crump

Cadet

roscoe,
I followed your instructions for starting. Motor started right up after 3 turnover. Less than a minute for it to start. I was doing all the things except for choking engine at initial start up as you suggested and advancing throttle as you suggested. Thanks for the pointers. Hope she stays cooperative with me.