Force trim????

kannuki

Seaman
i just bougght a 1997 cajun fish/ski with a 125 hp Force motor the tilt trim work good when sitting at idle but when moving forward i cannot adust the trim any thoughts? also when the boat is out of water and the motor is raised it eventually leaks down where do i check the level of hydrolic fluid and where do i add if neede and what type do i use?

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Force trim????

Kan,<br /><br /> Get yourself a manual. It will have detailed instruction on where to fill your trim and troubleshooting tips. If your motor is falling down you have a leak somewhere. Probably a bad o-ring. Are you sure that the trim cylinder is working out of the water and not just the tilt. You should have a metal cylinder that gets pushed out of the trim unit. The tilt cylinders will move the motor up and down out of the water even if the trim unit is not working. On the side of the electric motor should be an opening for filling and bleeding the air out of the system.(Air could be your problem too) Good Luck :p

kannuki

Seaman

ok so tilt and trim are 2 diffrent things? do they work off the same switch? and how do i bleed air out? ive ordered a manual but wont get here for 7-10 days and i wanna take it out this weekedn

dymo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to agree with revertmastec. I thought I had a tilt/trim function on my Chrysler 70HP but I came to learn that it was a tilt only. There is a cylinder for each function and on the Chrysler's anyways, there's 4 hydraulic lines coming from the main pump if you have the trim option.<br /><br />As far as leaking down when out of the water, it would be an air pocket or a leak somewhere. Also, does the motor tilt up when you're in reverse?<br /><br />Also ensure that you're using the correct oil for your system. I cannot be sure what type of oil is recommended for Force motors. I can only imagine there's a plug on the side of your resevoir.<br /><br />I would have put hydraulic oil in mine also if I didn't read the manual. Mine takes a grade 30 Non-Detergent motor oil but like I said, it's a Chrysler.<br /><br />Good luck

kannuki

Seaman

the back of my motor looks like this do i have trim?
36.gif

PMH

Cadet

According to the diagram you posted, you have trim. Its at the bottom of the diagram labeled #10.<br /><br />The trim adjusts the level of the motor in small incraments when engine is in the down position. The tilt actually lifts the motor out of the water.<br /><br />Both functions are controlled by the same switch on my '86 Force 125. It works like this. If the motor is all the way down, I lift the switch and the motor slowly raises (this is the trim). If I keep holding the switch up, the motor raises to a point where the trim takes over and the engine is lifted out of the water more quickly.<br /><br />I hope I was able to clear up any confusion.<br />Patrick

kannuki

Seaman

by the way my boat and motor is and 87 not 97 sorry for the mix up

kannuki

Seaman

ok so ive figured out i do have trim now where do i check the fluid level and where do i add it is it the set screw on the right of the canister?and what kind of fluid do i need to put in it?

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

ON the top of the motor there should be a cap you unscrew. You add the grade 30 non-detergent oil there. With the motor in the up position fill to it comes out the hole. With the cap off cycle the motor up and down a few times to get any air out. Refill as needed.

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

clarification,Motor means trim and tilt motor not engine. Once filled raise and lower engine to get air out. :cool:

kannuki

Seaman

no cap on top just 2 scres and wires coming out tried to pull that off and saw a magneto so i closed it back i have a finger screw on the side could this be it?????

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes, should be towards the top about the size of a quater.

dymo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The filler should be on the resevoir located right under the electric motor that runs the pump. Look around part # 1 on your diagram.

dymo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you're referring to the finger screw on the side of the resevoir, that's it.<br /><br />Good luck

Jango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an 85HP with the same Pump shown above. The "Clymer Manual" says to use 10W-40 in External Pumps (as Above). But,I have seen in other Postings to use Mercon/Dextron. Which is correct?

kannuki

Seaman

sow its just regual no detergent oil like you use in a car? and not hydrolic fluid?

kannuki

Seaman

no not yet i cant find them anywhere around here so im gonna have to order one online the only problem i have is i dont have a credit card. and my check card is supposed to come in this week...so right now im just stuck