Force Rebuilt now won't start

auchandler1

Seaman Apprentice
Ok rebuilt my outboard and put new gasket in. Put motor together and charged up the battery. Turn the ignition and starter pops up. Spins the flywheel a bit slows down and just stops. Not starting like it use to. I am thinking its something electricalor timing but I need help with this issue. I don't know where to start looking and repairing and I would very much not like to bring it in to a repair shop. Please help!

Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force Rebuilt now won't start

If you did a complete rebuild and assembled the engine with outboard oil or assembly oil, the compression is going to be way high. If this is the case, remove all the plugs and squirt a good amount of premix into each cylinder and each carb. Then with the plugs grounded, crank the engine a good number of times to clear it. Now replace the plugs and try to start it.

auchandler1

Seaman Apprentice

Ok Friday or Sturday I am gonna change out the batteries bc the ones I have aren't keeping a good charge. Another thing is how do you go in ground the spark plugs?

Thanks

auchandler1

Seaman Apprentice

Ok got a new battery and helped out but with plugs still in I don't get it to turn over. Seems like there is still alot of compression. I take the plugs out and turns like a champ. Thinking it's electrical or something. What should I do?

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

When it stops do you continue to hold the key? Usually when it pauses it will continue to crank a second or a few after.