Force Overheated

RVM4574

Recruit
I have a 1989 50hp Force model 507x9c. It overheated the other day on the lake. Thermostat stuck and I had no buzzer which I didn't know. I'm getting way more water from my exhaust spray out the back than before.I hardly get any water from my pisser. Its like a leaky outdoor faucet. Water pump is new thermosat is new. Is this a blown gasket and is there a bypass valve on this motor? I have a manual but its unclear about the valve. I pulled the spark plugs also and both were still dirty after running in tub for several minutes. I've read some threads and have gotten some ideas on things to check and still haven't found a definite problem.

RVM4574

Recruit
Re: Force Overheated

I dropped the lower unit and exhaust leg. I removed a lower exhaust plate from bottom of power head. Gasket wasn't in the greatest of shape.Could this have been the my problem? I will rebuild from bottom of power head to impeller. Replacing all gaskets including head gasket, o ring, impeller, and t stat. Are there anymore suggestions?

john from md

Commander

How do you know the engine overheated? Did it lock up?

When you say pisser, do you mean a telltale or the two relief ports on the back of the leg?

I'll try to help but I need more information.

John

RVM4574

Recruit

Trust me it overheated but I caught it in time to prevent any major damage I hope. As I was running full throttle on the lake I turned around to see no water out my taletell just smoke or steam. After replacing Tstat and impeller I 'm only getting water out the exhaust ports and way more than I use to.Just a drizzle out the taletell. I've checked for blockage and have none. Copper tube was properly aligned. I beleive I may have blown a gasket some where so I'm going to replace everything from the powerhead exhaust base plate to the impleler and head gasket. Like I already said I've gotten the power head pulled and lower unit and leg dropped. Visualy looking at pistons nothing looks burned or scared. The t stat was my blockage full of trash. Thanks for any advice. The hardest thing right now is finding the right parts. No one in Memphis sells Force parts. 1989 50 hp 507X9C

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used Fairwinds Marina in the past. They have a good amount of Chrysler/Force parts and are used to dealing with them. They are located in Annapolis, MD and I think they have a web site. Fire up the Google machine...