force outboard

isis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What is the first year and last year of force outboard and are they all mercury marine outboard made?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: force outboard

Force arrived in 85 with the purchase of Chrysler outboards by US Marine ,Then guessing about 93 Force acquired by Brunswick Marine again guessing about 95 some Merc parts started to appear on Force motors.About 99 last Force motors produced.Some of the Merc changes didn't work well.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Not sure of the dates myself. However, earlier Force engines were Chrysler--no changes at all for at least several years. When Brunswick acquired Chrysler, there was left-over inventory which would have been rebadged Force. Therefore: it is possible to have a Force produced before Brunswick bought Chrysler.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I have this in my info stash..copied fron these forums..can't give credit to me, as someone else posted it... I have more info, just can't find it at the moment...

West Bend became Chrysler around 1965. Chrysler became Force around 1984 when bought by US Marine. Brunswick bought Force around 1990 and kept the name until it stopped production in 1999.
This might be a bit of a technicality, but if memory serves me correctly, US Marine was purchased by Brunswick. Brunswick is a holding company that owns Merc, Sea Ray, Boston Whaler, and others. Brunswick integrated Force with Merc and made Bayliner a separate operating unit. According to Brunswick's website, the purchase took place in 1986.