Force Ouboards vs Other Outboards

fishingmoherb

Recruit
I have been reading differant topics conserning Force outboards. I was a Chrysler automotive tech for almost 30 years so maybe I'm a little biased because they are a great proformance company. They still are, check out the new '09 Dodge Challenger. The point I'm trying to make is that if Chrysler would have committed themselves things would have been a lot better, but their engine wasn't that bad. The biggest problem was that the techs that worked on them didn't know that much about Chrysler. I worked on all ouboards for about two years and realized that there is not that much differance between any of them, just differant designes.

I have a "88 50 hp Force outboard now. Yet me tell you of my experience.
I bought this outfit from a private individual but it was being sold by the dealer. IT was as is but the motor was just overhauled. It ran great and started great. Here is where it gets interesting. My sister and I went fishing last fall on Stockton Lake a very windy lake. We were running back to load up and the motor starting slowing down and died. I realized that the motor had overheated but no buzzer went off. Luckily I had a great trolling moter Force alias motorguide. When I got home I pulled the head off and it was evident that it gotten really hot. The cly. was scored and you could see that it had been fried. I installed a new impeller but it looked good. I then checked the thermostat and heated it up and it was stuck solid. So I knock the center of the thermostat out and clened the cly. out with emery cloth and ran it for the rest of the fall. It missed a little at idle but ran ok. I decided to put two new pistons in and i did, the clys were in good shape and the piton was shot, the other ok. So I put in two new free floating pistons. It went together great and the only problem I'm having now is that I can't remember which direction the thermostat goes or if it makes a differance, I know it does on cars. Buy the way this motor is almost a duplicate of a omc with a mercury flywheel on it. The point I'm trying to make is don't blame the engine, blame the people that work on them and corporate america trying to make more money.

Maybe someone can tell me the direction the thermstat goes. Oh buy the way, the buzzer was dissconnected but the thermo switch is ok I tested it.
If I only new that the buzzer was disconnected this whole situation could have been avoided.

Differant point of view Herb