Force Manual Recommendations

gn83tm

Cadet
Hello to all. Lurker here who now has a reason to post.

I just bought a 1997 Spectrum Pro Avenger with the 40 HP Force motor. I'm not new to boats but I am to the Force motors. I was a little reluctant to consider a Force on my latest purchase but after following this forum for a couple of months I took the plunge. It looks like there is a lot of help here and the simplicity of these motors appeals to me since I do all my own work.

Anyway, this motor is a very low hour unit and runs great but I know it will need some maintenance and possibly more before I am done with it so I'm wondering what you guys recommend for a repair manual for this motor. I've used mostly Clymer manuals in the past and they're ok but is there anything better? It seems that aftermarket manuals that cover many years and models make some compromises compared to year/model specific factory manuals. Are factory manuals available or should I just go with a Seloc or Clymer and if so, which one?

Thanks for the advice and looking forward to hanging out here some more.

P.S. How much (and what) of this motor is Chrysler design and how much of it is Mercury?

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: Force Manual Recommendations

Watch ebay for a factory manual.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats.

Clymer is ok, Seloc is riddled with mistakes and omissions.
Factory is available ($75), used on ebay will save you some bucks.
Not any significant differences between the 40 or 50 hp, so either manual will do.
These motors underwent some big changes in 1995.
This is the factory manual you want, ebay item number 110213175910

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996...3175910QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

Lower unit is Merc, along withe the tilt unit. So is the entire ignition system, and the carb is a newer version from those used on earlier models.
The fuel pump and controls are Merc, and the fuel recirculation system is newer. Some internals in the powerhead are different.

A new impeller, fuel pump diaphram, and a good cleaning of the fuel system, and all should be well.

gn83tm

Cadet

Thanks guys. Advice like this is what gives me a reasonable level of comfort buying something that most guys wouldn't touch with a 10' pole.