Force L-Drive 120 fill & vent plugs stuck

Jimmy627

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1990 Force L-Drive 120 I am trying to take out the fill & vent plugs so I can change the gear case oil. I got the drain loose but that's it. I tried A impact screw driver (the one you hit with a hammer),a big fat screw driver & nothing seems to break it loose. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them out. And when I do get them out should I replace them with new ones. Thanks Jim

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: Force L-Drive 120 fill & vent plugs stuck

Spray some liquid wrench on it, let it sit a little while. Try it with the impact screw driver again. No go? Spray it again, come back later try it!
Sometimes it can take a while to get the corrosion loosened up!

Jimmy627

Seaman Apprentice

I tried liquid wrench, Pb catalyst& wd-40 these little bastards will not come loose any other suggestion maybe some heat ? If I do use heat will a propane torch be better? Thanks Jim

Haywood123

Seaman

If you have a heat gun, I would use that over a propane torch, just because you might melt some paint away with the torch. Now saying that, I had to use a torch on mine. The plastic washers that were on mine stuck and pretty much had to melt them off and replace them to get the screws off.

sbake

Cadet

This is info. for everyone who's ever fought with rust or corrosion and a stuck nut or bolt. Straight-up antifreeze! Yep, antifreeze. My flywheel nut was bad rusted on my 85hp force, after every other, freeze-off, pb blaster, kriol, ..... antifreeze broke the bond. Hope it helps.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Too much heat and you will be resealing. Some of the parts are hard to reseal once they have been taken apart. Make sure your screwdriver fits the way it is supposed to and then put an adjustable wrench on that.
When I replace seals I use Mercruiser/Merc.lower unit seals.They work and last longer than the plastic crush ring from Force.Jerry