Force Flywheel replacement question . 1987, ELPT, SN# OE250062 75 HP Cross reference

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Gentlemen,

I am working on my 3 cylinder 75 HP 1997 Force Motor. I am going to remove the Flywheel next weekend to inspect the flywheel key and to try to diagonis a no start condition. My flywheel teeth are damaged in two places so I do not want to put this flywheel back on the motor. I believe the broken teeth may have cause my flywheel ( crank) keyway to have been damaged.

I went to my manual and it states that I have a Force ( Mercury) Flywheel part number 261-9008A36. The back of the manual states that this Flywheel part number has been superceded by 261-9008A54. So I have begun the search for a used Flywheel.

I have found several on E-Bay Motors for the Mid 90's 50, 60, and 70 HP 3 cylinder motors with PN # 261-9007A48. Will these work on my motor? I have found some 90 HP Flyweels with a very close part number of 261-9008A58. Will the 90 HP, 3 Clylinder Flywheel work? They all seem to have the correct center hub.

I did a search and found this from Frank Acampora. who has helped me greatly over the years:

]B]That's a Mercury flywheel and ignition. Merc DID use the same flywheel and stator mount assembly for the 2 cylinder 40-50 AND 3 cylinder 70. The stator mount was positioned differently for 2 and 3 cylinder engines. Forward direction is cast into the mount for each engine. Yours should show this too.

Since the 90 is also a 3 cylinder engine, I suspect that the flywheel is correct for it also.
[/B]

End of Frank's quote:

Is it safe to assume that any 3 cylinder 70 HP Flywheel will work on my motor as long as the center hub is the same? My center hub is casted into the flywheel and is not a seperate part. Does anyone know where there is a on-line cross reference guide for Force / Mercury Part Numbers? I saw another post where it was stated if the Flywheel OD is the same and the Inside ( Magnet) depth is the same it will work. However, I want to get your opinion before I buy a used replacement unit.

Thanks,

Donald

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force Flywheel replacement question . 1987, ELPT, SN# OE250062 75 HP Cross refer

Picture 299.jpgPicture 300.jpg
Post a pic of the top and underside of the wheel.
And the timing marks too.
They made a few different wheels.
The 97 used Mrcury parts.
So the earler Force parts won't work.
Post the pics.
The photos show 2 different Forces,they show the timing marks and the keyway cut(different).
These will fit from the early 80's to the early 90's

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Force Flywheel replacement question . 1987, ELPT, SN# OE250062 75 HP Cross refer

Jerry,

Thanks for your help. I will be pulling the flywheel this weekend so I will post the pictures early next week. However, I have a few questions about your post and pictures.

When I look at the first picture, I see that one flywheel has four hash marks ( timing marks) and the other one only has two. However, the two that the one wheel has seem to match up with the one that has four marks. Does picture number one show that both of these wheels will work on the same motor?

When I look at the second picture, it appears that the key ways on both wheels are in different locations. This is based on the three holes and the wriiting on the wheel that are casted on it. Will both of the wheels that are in picture number two work on the same motor?

It looks like to me that the timing lines line up, but the keyways do not line up, so these two wheels would not work on the same motor. Am I correct?

My wheel appears to be a Mercury and it has a raised casted center hub. The ones that I am looking at on E-Bay have the same raised center hub. I will wait till next week, after I pull the bad one, to buy a used replacement, but I just want to get the right one . They range from $50 to $300 so I do want to grab the correct wheel.

Thanks,

Donald

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

TTT

I am hoping that Jerry will see my question.

Donald

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The top pic is the same as the left one in the second pic.
The top is from a 80's 85/90-125/120.
#1 The one with the 2 hash marks won't work for the one with 4.
Keyway is way off.
I think FrankA told me what the one was for.
#2 No
#3 correct
Get pics with a ruler across the diameter.Then the underside.
Good luck.J

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jerry,

Cool, now I understand. I will report back with some pictures after I pull the flywheel this weekend.

Thanks for the help,

Donald

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK I have pulled the damaged flywheel. I need to setup a photo bucket account later today to be able to post these pictures. Teeth are missing in several locations. I need to replace this wheel.

Thanks,

Donald

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just wanted to complete this thread in case others needed this kind of help. I was able to get a used Flywheel for my motor off of E-Bay. Basically, I checked each day until one came up. It cost $200.00 but it has great teeth. Crowley Marine also listed some other part numbers that would work and I also found those on eBay, but they wanted $450.00 for those new ones.

Thanks to everyone who helped me.

Donald