Force (by Mercury) 40HP Shift Linkage Adjustments

Bevo2000

Seaman Apprentice
[h=1]I finally got my 1994 Force 40hp motor (serial number 0E067660) running great. However, I still don't have the shift linkage adjustment dialed in just yet. I could get it to shift into forward and reverse ok, but sometime in neutral, the prop would not spin freely as it should (other times it spins ok). According to my manual, the adjustment for neutral is in the photo below. However, I could NOT find the apex (1) or the button (2) on my motor. Am I not looking at the right area or my motor just doesn't have them? Thanks in advance.[/h]

Attachments

• photo340588.jpg
    photo340588.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 6
  • photo340589.jpg
    photo340589.jpg
    881 KB · Views: 7

Nordin

Commander
The manual is showing an engine with Chrysler/Force remote control, your engine has the Mercury remote control.
In those years about 1992-1994 they started to put Mercury parts to the Force engines.
Ignition parts, gear case, remote control etc.
Maybe you have to adjust the shift rod linkage.
Does your engine have the shift rod coupling showen in the pic from the manual?
If it has you can try to adjust it.
The thread at the shift rod lower has a large gradient so just a 1/4 of a turn will make a big change.

Bevo2000

Seaman Apprentice
The manual is showing an engine with Chrysler/Force remote control, your engine has the Mercury remote control.
In those years about 1992-1994 they started to put Mercury parts to the Force engines.
Ignition parts, gear case, remote control etc.
Maybe you have to adjust the shift rod linkage.
Does your engine have the shift rod coupling showen in the pic from the manual?
If it has you can try to adjust it.
The thread at the shift rod lower has a large gradient so just a 1/4 of a turn will make a big change.

Thank you so much Nordin. Yes the motor does have the shift rod coupling just like the picture, and I will be adjusting the coupling.