FORCE 90 HP No Juice to tilt or start

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello All,<br /><br /> Here I go again. I was raising my Outboard and the power stopped. I checked everything and it looked good but hit the button - up or down - dead. I tried bumping the starter (as I am in the process of rebuilding the engine) and nothing. I played with the shifter (even though that has nothing to do with the tilt motor I thought it wouldn't hurt) and still nothing (start or tilt). I have checked the 20 amp fuse - it has fire on both sides - and I popped the relays (2) and they have fire to the red wires coming in. Is it possible that one or both have gone bad??<br /><br /> This is the 1997 90 Hp FORCE that ran hot and scored the bottom cylinder. I have the head off - the prop off - the lower unit loose - temp sensor out of the head. <br /> <br /> The unit lost power before I started to work on the lower unit. I have used a booster and charged the battery - still no go.<br /><br /> Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. :confused: :eek: ;)

waxxer

Cadet
Re: FORCE 90 HP No Juice to tilt or start

robert<br />does your controls have a kill switch ? i dont know if this would effect your tilt but i know it wont kick the starter if its not engaged

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks waxxer. It does have a kill switch but it would tilt and turn over with the kill switch in the off - kill - position - it just would not spark. I can not get it to do anything. :rolleyes:

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get 12V test light and check from the battery. Is solenoid hot at the battery side. Try jumping across it to see if the starter bumps. Fire for trim should come from that connection too. Check and get back to us

waxxer

Cadet

man robert thats a toughy ill ask around and see if any of my buddys come up with some ideas inn the meantime goodluck

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Kev and waxxer,<br /><br /> I did the test light trick and had juice every where I could get to. I had juice at the solenoid and at the 2 relays (red wire). I put a VOHM on the battery and was getting a 13.3 volt reading.<br /><br /> I must have bumped what ever the problem was because I just hit the lift button again (as I did periodically while testing) and it started working (I'm scratching my head). But when I get it tore down I will find it (I hope). I am going to rebuild it as a winter project.<br /><br /> Thanks guys ( I guess I'm getting old or something). ;)

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Kev and waxxer,<br /><br /> I did the test light trick and had juice every where I could get to. I had juice at the solenoid and at the 2 relays (red wire). I put a VOHM on the battery and was getting a 13.3 volt reading.<br /><br /> I must have bumped what ever the problem was because I just hit the lift button again (as I did periodically while testing) and it started working (I'm scratching my head). But when I get it tore down I will find it (I hope). I am going to rebuild it as a winter project.<br /><br /> Thanks guys ( I guess I'm getting old or something). ;) <br /><br /> P.s. <br /><br /> I just had an after thought - is there some sort of reset button that resets itself after a period of time???? :mad:

jimdi

Cadet

Sounds like a bad battery to me - it may take a full charge but not deliver the juice Amp/hour wise. <br /><br />I use the trim tilt on my force as a battery checker - if the trim works smooth the starter flys.<br /><br />If the trim is sluggish - the starter will barely turn.<br /><br /><br />jim

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Jim. The battery looks new but I just bought the boat. I know it sat for a year and a half before I bought it. They did not treat it nice (previous owners). ;) <br />That is why I am rebuilding it (it got hot and seized 1st time out). :mad:

Liam

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In the course of dismantling you may have loosened/disconnected a ground or negative wire. You still get power at the right points but cannot complete the circuit. You may have temporarily completed the circuit by playing around with the various components trying to get it to work.<br /><br />Liam