Force 90 doesn't like to go in the water

Liljoe

Cadet
Haven't looked at it yet but a friend asked me to look at his outboard motor. The problem seems to be that it doesn't like to go in the water. Engine will run fine with earmuffs and the trusty hose. But at soon as you back it in the water it will not start. Seen one other post about this but there was no follow up. So when I check this motor out were should I look past the basics? Thanks in advance.

nickster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Force 90 doesn't like to go in the water

To try and give you an answer to your question. I had 2 Force setting side by side they both have the same problem run great on the hose and won't even start on the lake. A good friend of mine (great mechanic)had give me a few ideas the one that worked was flooding the carbs out with engine tuner till you killed the motor. Then let the motor set for a couple of minutes and restarting. I did that took it to the lake and it started right away and ran great. I beleive this problem is caused from carbon buildup underneath the powerhead around the exhaust. To fix it correctly the power head needs to be pulled <br /><br />------------------

nickster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Liljoe checked out the second Force I had and was working on. Found out that the engine tuner did not work on this paticular motor. Even though the carbon build up in the exaust could still be a problem, we also found that the butterflies for the choke was not closing all the way. We reajusted the choke to get them to close but we have not got to run the boat on the Lake yet. We will run it tommorrow 7-14-73. Good luck on your motor and send any findings out that work for you it would help tremendasly.

Liljoe

Cadet

Thanks for the info and please do. I'm trying to find time this weekend to get to his boat to check it out. As for the date you put in I think you will be waiting many years to test it out! LOL Think boats will still be around?LOL I will also post my findings.

ge_ray

Cadet

I have a 90 model force 120 hp. that does the same exact thing.Runs perfect with hose on it,but get it to the lake and it doesn't want to crank.I found out a way to get it to crank. I tilt the motor up completely out of the water, and then crank it.Then tilt it down and it will run.It runs good after you get going, but when you come to a stop the engine starts idleing ruff and dies.I cant figure it out?
frown.gif