Force 90 cooling

To ploion mou

Recruit
Extreme novice here; I have a force 90 that might be having some cooling problems. This is only my second year with the boat and last year when I was prepping for the summer I lowered my motor into a container of water that fully submerged the intakes. If I recall correctly when I ran the motor I had both water and exhaust coming out the two holes on the prop side of the motor about half way up. This year while prepping I noticed only exhaust coming out and after 10 minutes of running the motor I noticed smoke coming off the engine area and it smelled like the engine was getting hot. Is it possible that there is a blockage in the recirculation of water to cool the engine. If so what is the fix? Unfortunately I do not have a manual for this motor. Any help is appreciated.

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Force 90 cooling

When you purchased the boat/motor did you replace the impeller? If not, that would be my first guess. Replace the impeller.

foodfisher

Captain

OH OH, definately a new impeller and deeper in the bucket next time. Hopefully that's all.

To ploion mou

Recruit

When you purchased the boat/motor did you replace the impeller? If not, that would be my first guess. Replace the impeller.

Wow! Amazing! After posting this I went on youtube and found a video talking about impellers and it showed me how to replace one. I went out and disassembled the lower half of my engine and discovered my impeller was just a round piece of rubber sitting in a pool of rubber fragments. Now, two hour later, I have ordered a replacement "sierra" aftermarket impeller from iboats and it is on its way!

This is a great community! As I am dragging my kids around the lake this summer I will remember to be thankful for this resource!

Thanks so much!

To ploion mou

Recruit

OH OH, definately a new impeller and deeper in the bucket next time. Hopefully that's all.

See my response to the first reply I received! You are Oh, Oh, soooo right! There was nothing left of my impeller but fragments! Thank you sooo much for the response!

I have heard that these engines are hit and miss but this year mine started right up; it just wasn't spewing water out of the two holes like it did last year. I got this boat in really good condition for its age but I don't think anyone had ever serviced the lower end of it before. Thank you for taking the time to respond; your advice was spot on!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Don't start without the muffs for even a "couple of seconds" It will do damage.
Then use the right muffs,make sure there is enough pressure from the hose and the muffs fit tight.
Also Foodfisher said it.DEEP in a bucket. At least 2-4 inches OVER the cavitation plate.

To ploion mou

Recruit

So; my new impeller is installed and I have two very healthy streams of water coming out from where they should. Thanks for all the help!

ummduh

Recruit

Not sure if thread hijacking is OK on this site, but here it goes:

Helping my FIL with his boat. He has owned it new since 1990 and never replaced the water pump impeller.

He said last season the water flow was "a trickle" out of the exhaust ports.

I just helped him change the impeller today. It actually didn't look bad, the rubber was pretty stiff but it was all there.

Got it back together and it still doesn't flow through. We weren't even getting the trickle he had last season, there was no water coming out of the 2 exhaust ports today.

Same engine as this post, Force 90HP.

We pulled the thermostat housing and the thermostat, and started it up for a couple seconds and got a couple gurgles of water, but no flow.

The is is hooked up with the clamp thingy to the garden hose, not in a bucket.

Where do we go from here?

I`mNotMe

Seaman

Hi ummduh.

For your boat (your question), you should start a new thread (under your name).

For my force 120 with newly installed impeller and on muffs, its water spray out its upper pee holes is low flow. Above fast idle on muffs, the water stream is much stronger / thicker stream. But in the lake / going 2,500+ RPMs, the water stream is consistent and steady. Perhaps your Force is the same on muffs?

For good comparison, surf: 1996 Force 90 HP 2 Stroke Outboard Motor - YouTube

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You should have water coming from the snout.
The 2 holes in the mid section???Maybe not??
The holes are connected to the pressure relief valve(if you have one)
It's possible the PRV is blocked and it's not allowing water through that section.
Or it's possible the hose doesn't have enough pressure.
Most of the water comes out the snout.
What condition was the pump/housing?
My motors, pump water out both as soon as it gets circulated.