Force 9.9 any good?

I recently bought a 12ft inflatable with a 4 horse Johnson. I love the boat but want enough power to get about 800 total pounds up on plane.
I have been looking for a 10-15 used motor for sale and have come across two 1998 Force 9.9 for around 600 each. I grew up in FL and was always told to stay away from Force because they don't seem to pack the power they are rated for, but this is a small motor and may be different. So what is yalls opinion on thses motors, Yea or nea?

Thanks in advance, I love this forum so far
Keith

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 9.9 any good?

My own opinion the Force is a fairly good motor.May be a little weaker than say a Evinrude or Johnson.The starter pinion gear seems to break regularly.
In the NAPA auto parts Marine Products CatalogThere seems to be a dozen versions of the 9.9 apparently about 1/2 don't list a carb kit.E/J has 2 lines of 9.9 all list
a carb kit.Force lists an impeller for 79-97 E/J lists just about the full compliment of impellers,housings kits etc.
My point is E/J parts are readily available Chrysler/Force are a little more difficult to find.
Some Force parts can be had at Merc dealers But Merc
anounced some time ago they were stopping Force parts support.Another words no new parts production.

Re: Force 9.9 any good?

steelespike said:
My own opinion the Force is a fairly good motor.May be a little weaker than say a Evinrude or Johnson..

I appreciate the reply but because you stated this I guess I'll keep on looking unless I get some different opinions.
I'm also thinking about just waiting until next year and saving up for a new 15 horse Yammy 2 stroke.