Force 85HP 1988 - Shaft length?

mametron

Cadet
I have this motor and I'm curious, how do you measure or find out the "shaft length"?<br /><br />I see motors for sale on Ebay, etc and they always list this. (example: 20", 25", etc).<br /><br />Can I replace my motor with a larger HP version, if the shaft length is longer?<br /><br />Thanks! ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Force 85HP 1988 - Shaft length?

Hi, Mametron.<br /><br />Measure the distance from the part of the engine mount that sits on the top of the transom to the anti-ventilation plate (usually called the cavitation plate). That is your "shaft length" and the verical distance from the top of the transom to the bottom of a boat that it fits.<br /><br />It is the transom depth of your boat that dictates shaft length, not the engine hp. The max hp rating of your boat dictates the largest hp engine you can use. If you change engines you MUST use the same shaft length.<br /><br />Good luck. :) <br /><br />A "short" shaft is 15", long shaft is 20" and extra long is 25".

mametron

Cadet

Thanks JB, great info.<br /><br />Mametron

mametron

Cadet

You know, other than keeping up with maintenance on these Force motors, they really run great!~ My 85HP, 1988 OB runs like a top. Pushes my 17'6" Capri around at a good 33MPH fully loaded with gear and four people. Anyone recommend a good service manual for this puppy? Also, how often does one need to replace the impeller? I take it out every summer, all summer, as often as work permits.<br /><br />Thanks. ;)