Force 50hp.....blown up AGAIN

bay5884

Seaman
I have a 87 14' Bayliner with a 50hp Force. I finished rebuilding the engine (bored, pistons, rings, head milled, new gaskets, impeller, thermostat...)only a month or two ago. It's been running great since then with no problems whatsoever...until last weekend. Apparently the Force was not with me as it apparently threw a piston rod through the engine case (did not overheat). I haven't torn anything down yet to look at it (actually I haven't even thrown a glance at the piece of sh*t since the weekend :mad: ), but I can see through the nice new hole in the case to the crank and there are needle bearings thrown out into the engine compartment.<br /><br />I'm just looking for some opinions as to what everyone thinks I should do. New outboard (non Force for sure) or new powerhead kit? I just don't think I could find a newer and more reliable outboard for even close to the price of a new powerhead. Killing me because the boat itself is in as great condition as it was in 1987 and the weather here is perfect lately! :( <br /><br />Thanks in advance for your input!

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Force 50hp.....blown up AGAIN

Part it out on ebay. Buy another brand (any other brand) of outboard, check it out before you buy (caveat emptor). Water under the bridge. Think of all the good stuff you learned.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Well...I am pretty sure you do not want to hear what likely caused the problem. So I will avoid that altogether.<br /><br />Moving on...Powerhead Vs a new Engine.<br /><br />Which can you afford? Do you do enough boating to warrant a new engine? Maybe you want more power?<br /><br />Have you done some pricing on Powerheads yet? Might be cheaper to go Canadian for the powerhead?<br /><br />If you like...contact me...I will get you a Canadian price on a short block.<br /><br />marine.ron@shaw.ca<br /><br />TMD

catfish1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

my opinion: scrap the force! give it away, throw it in the trash, whatever you gotta do! get something a little less painfull. johnson, evinrude, mercury, yamaha, whatever! but dont revive the force. "the force is not with you" :D

bay5884

Seaman

TMD, I did do a quick search on a complete powerhead this morning...the cheapest I found was $1500 through this site. And yes, I would be interested in hearing your diagnosis since I haven't torn anything down yet to find out. Especially since I printed a ton of literature on the rebuild, break-in, etc when I did the previous rebuild and took every precaution I could find for the engine.<br /><br />I am more interested in getting a new-to-me engine than fixing this troublesome Force. A few more ponies under the cowl wouldn't hurt either. Not sure how high I can go..haven't looked at the rating yet, but even a 60hp would be nice. The only problem with a new engine for me is the cash....I wouldn't expect to spend less than at least a few thousand for a realiable outboard, and that's pretty much out of the question. <br /><br />Should I be correct in my thinking that getting a new complete powerhead will cure my problem just as well as finding a good used replacement outboard that just might be as tired as what I started with?

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

I'm guessing something in your fuel sysetme probably carbs (too lean) was part of the problem, and you would be using the same fuel system on any rebuilt powerhead you would buy. It you don't find out what exactly caused the problem you might blow another one.

bay5884

Seaman

jimd, my Force 50 is premix....50:1 which I mixed myself for every tank. Also made sure to mix 1 1/2 times richer for break-in. Thanks for the input though!

catfish1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

bay, you can get a reliable outboard for less than $3000. i got a rebuilt 1983 evinrude 50hp for $1500 to replace my 1985 force 50hp, when i go to a lake i have complete confidence in my motor, it has not given me any problem what-so-ever and i have put about 100 or more miles on it. <br />my point is, you can get a good outboard for less than a new powerhead on that force. i'm sure of it. check around bud! <br />i wouldnt go to ebay for one unless its close to you and you can check it out. i just went to a friends house yesterday, and he has a customers boat, just bought from ebay for $1400. it is a ranger 16ft with a 115 johnson, it has a cracked hull, interior is shot, and the lower unit is bad. the buyer knew about the interior being shot but thats it, he got screwed!

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Bay5884 you missed my point. Lets say you are careful and mix your gas/oil 35:1 for the breakin. If your #1 carb main jet was clogged before and isn't metering fuel mix the way its supposed to, lets say only 1/4 of the fuel is getting mixed with the air coming through the carb, and your engine is running at WOT and 4000 rpm, that cylinder is now getting 1/4 of the lubrication it is supposed to at that rpm, which would be somewhat analogous to mixing it at 140:1. Also, because of the lean condition, that cylinder will run a higher combustion temp and will be prone to detonation (death to pistons). Furthermore, the increased load on the other cylinders may cause the engine to overheat and take the other cylinders down also.<br /><br />Make sure your fuel system (particularly the carbs and fuel pump) are up to snuff or you will snuff your new powerhead.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Are we 100% sure that the Con rod bolts were tight and locktighted and were the caps put on the right conrods?<br /><br />Were there any marks on the crank?<br /><br />Were new brg's installed?<br /><br />TMD

clanton

Rear Admiral

Try sears parts on line, they had powers heads for under 300.00 US.