Force 50 - should i repair it?

shankwc

Cadet
I have a force 50 on a 14' 1987 bayline bass striker. The engine starts but won't do anymore than idle until the overheat alarm goes off. Local boat store says compression is good but the cooling system is shot. Additionally, since the previous owner didn't properly winterize, the carb and fuel pump needs to be rebuilt. Total estimate is about $1300. The engine has overheated before and the previous owner spent about $1400 rebuilding the engine in '04. Can I reasonably expect to get 2-3 years of use from this engine if I get it repaired? I realize there are no guarantees and I could suck up seaweed or hit a rock and kill it. But if I take care of it, should I expect a few years from this engine?

Thanks for your advice.

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Force 50 - should i repair it?

Why dont you try and repair it yourself, you will save tons of money. The impeller is easy to replace and so is the thermostate. Flush out the cooling lines to make sure there is no blockage so you get good water flow. A fuel pump kit is very easily replaced and installed. Carbs are easy to rebuild also, get a manual and try and tackle it. If you do it yourself i bet you can save yourself 1200 bucks if not more. But i guess it all depends on what you mean the cooling system is shot. Good luck

thenotsofreeboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well i am no expert, but a impeller is cheap and easy to fix. I keep an extra on hand as it is a part that needs to be changed every year. Carbs as long as they are not destroyed most likely just need to be adjusted and cleaned out with some WD40. The fuel pump on my Chrysler (same as force) is right on the side of the engine block and easy to change as well. Finding parts is the biggest issue with these motors as they are no longer made but so far I have not had a problem finding parts. 1300 dollars is way over priced to me as described. I would fix it myself and get back on the water.

shankwc

Cadet

that thought has occured to me and i actually think it would be a fun challenge. but unfortunately, i'm up against a deadline for my summer vacation and i want to take the boat with me. so i just don't have the time. but i will get a manual anyway because if this happens again, i will likely repair it myself over the winter.

thanks for the advice. i do appreciate it.

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

When do you leave and does the shop have parts on hand? You can get the parts right here on iboats and have them delievered overnight, then your looking at a few hours to complete the repair. You can be up and running in 48 hrs and close to 1200 bucks extra coin on vacation.

shankwc

Cadet

yeah but my problem is my schedule.

My typical day:
wake at 6am to get baby and help wife get kids ready for day.
8am off to work until 6:30pm. Dinner and family time till 9pm. Work some more until midnight. Rinse and repeat.

but you know what - i work too much. i think i try to fix it myself.

shankwc

Cadet

Damn you guys were right. I bought 1yr subscription to Seloc and was able access a repair manual for the force 50. I left work a little early, picked up my boat from the dealer that wanted to charge me $1300 (actually $1500 after the diagnostic fee) went home, setup my laptop and toolbox and took that sucker apart. it really wasn't hard at all. I used their recommendation for what I should fix. I've taken off the carb and it looks to be in great condition. I don't know what they were planning to do. It could use a gasket, but that is really all. the bowl had a little crud in it which i cleaned out. The fuel pump needs a new diaphram and gaskets. The impeller actually looks to be in good shape except that it doesn't really seem to fit very well. it seems taller than the housing. the inside of the housing has a bunch of crud in it. I scrapped it out with a razor blade but i'm going to try to get a replacement. I suspect this stopped turning which caused my overheat issue. Now I just need to figure out how to change the head gasget and overheat sensor. that is tomorrow's project. then i will tally my parts list and get it all. I expect it to be under $150 total.

Thanks a lot for your encouragement to try this myself!

shankwc

Cadet

Follow up:
I fixed most everything they suggested myself. Took a while as I had to learn basic mechanics at the same time. I've only got an idle problem now, but I can get the thing going up to 25MPH on the river! very cool. thanks all

conor1366

Seaman

that is great!!! I have a 1972 Chrysler 45 hp on a 1988 Bayliner Bass Trophy. the the lower unit just split at the lower seam when it shifted hard. It is either go spend 2000 or more to buy a newer motor or spend 1300 to have a mechanic fix mine....you have just inspired me to take a crack at it.(no pun intended)

question on shifting..the seam split when it shifted rough. the mechanic that did the compression test adjusted the idle and it seemed to idle high. do you think that may have made the shift hesitate and then smash down hard when it shifted?

the motor runs great besides that and has great compression.

let me know if you have any answers or words of encouragement. I have a baby on the way and just got this toy/boat...I don't have the time or money right now to throw into it.