Force 50 misfire, stat-or or rectifier ?

divco13

Seaman
Force 50 has a miss off idle. at mid throttle to high Rpm. Cough's out Exhaust, intermittently.

Going thru the Selco shop manual I have, it say's it may be the stat-or or rectifier.

Selco has the possess to check the Resistance of the stat-or, and the rectifier.

Any other Idea's ?

I got this 50 with the boat, where do I find the serial and model #

Thank everyone for the help. Bob

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Year/, there is a foundry stamp someplace under the pack and coil assy.
Or on the bottom of the intake manifold.
It's usually on the top cyl. It's round and the year is stamped in the center.

This will give you the year but the model/serial # ?????
If the motor came with the boat? contact who ever made the boat, send them the hull#.
For parts: use any serial/model will work when buying most parts.
The differences in model# is usually something small like a bolt or a connector change?

outboardignitiondotcom has test procedures for your motor.

The cough, could be it's sucking air somewhere?
Can of starting fluid, run motor and spray everywhere on the intake side(stbd.) but the carb.
If it makes a difference? then there's a gasket that's gone bad???

Water in the gas?

The port covers (2) have a problem with the gasket going bad and sucking air.
One tiny backfire can blow a gasket.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Going thru the Selco shop manual I have, it say's it may be the stat-or or rectifier.

Selco has the possess to check the Resistance of the stat-or, and the rectifier.

Any other Idea's ?

Seloc manuals have lots of mis-information. They make good knee pads, just horrible manuals

divco13

Seaman
Jerry/Jerry: Here is a note from, " outboardignition.com " Do not use maintenance free battery with rectifiers or over-voltage will occur! Any body know how this takes place ? ( difference )

www.outboardignition.com is a wealth of motor knowledge, Again,,thanks for the Website

I was leaning toward the Lean condition, as the problem. When just off idle it dies to lean.

After starting with the push choke, starts right up. Cycling the choke after it is started it will, with quick engagement of the push choke.it will continue to run. Eliminating the Lean mixture.

Thank everyone for pointing in the right direction !

I have always gotten very good help here. Bravo !

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Do not use maintenance free battery with rectifiers or over-voltage will occur! Any body know how this takes place ?

Maintenance free batteries are sealed and the juice can't be topped off. Battery runs dry and eats the electrical system.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
After starting with the push choke, starts right up. Cycling the choke after it is started it will, with quick engagement of the push choke.it will continue to run. Eliminating the Lean mixture.

Carb(s) or fuel pump need rebuilt - Probably both.

Service the water pump, too. Always a good idea if you have no service history.

divco13

Seaman
Carb and fuel pump have been rebuilt. I'll find the Vac leak. Motor was rebuilt last season. Ever think points to a failed seal in the carb and or crankcase vacuum.

Last edited:

divco13

Seaman
Click image for larger version  Name:	Force 50 Carb repair 004.jpg Views:	1 Size:	88.1 KB ID:	10748409Click image for larger version  Name:	Force 50 Carb repair 007.jpg Views:	1 Size:	54.4 KB ID:	10748410Click image for larger version  Name:	Force 50 Carb repair 008.jpg Views:	1 Size:	65.3 KB ID:	10748411 Found the Lean condition off Idle. A small plug that is installed during production had fallen out. ...............The passage was in the Idle circuit. Machined a very small plug to reseal the passage.......
. With the passage plugged runs perfect at moderate to high rpm......Now to find the stumble off idle.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Stumble off idle: what's the rpms in gear in the water at idle?
Should be about 800

divco13

Seaman
Stumble off idle: what's the rpms in gear in the water at idle?
Should be about 800

Jerry out of the water, with water hose attached. Off idle means just like you would throttle up as if in water, after engaged in gear. If you come off idle up 4k rpm no stumble. Might cough once at low rpm on the way 4k rpm.

I am just to get the fly wheel off to inspect the timing ring. The fly wheel has been off at one time as one of the three tapped hole has been Heli-coiled.
Tried a puller with moderate heat. ***** is stuck !

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 3 jaw puller needs "persuasion" get the bolt as tight as you can then tighten a bit more..
I use an impact wrench.
Then a 3# hammer on the end of the bolt.
Hit it hard.

Make sure you thread the nut back on, not tight but secure enough
that the wheel doesn't go flying upon impact.

Wear gloves and safety glasses.

The flywheel and crank taper just about welds itself together.

One time I had to cut away the flywheel because it wouldn't release.