Force 50 leaks when tilted up.

Hawgboss22

Cadet
I have a 1986 Force 50. When we fish the weeds, we tilt the motor up. There is sort of white. almost foam drops that come out. I brought it up on to the trailer and comfirmed that it is gas, (Oil and Gas Mix), coming from a bolt on the right side as you are looking at the prop. This only happens when the motor is tilted. Any help here would be grand. Thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 50 leaks when tilted up.

Probable just unburned gas/oil that usually get vented into the water as you run.Jerry

Hawgboss22

Cadet

If this is "Normal" then why would any motor manufacturer knowingly let gas drip out into the water like this?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

When you tilt the motor up the carb needle valves have trouble seating and will cause fuel to keep flowing. During this time you have fuel pressure because the system is primed and this is why you notice it when it is tilted up. This is very common for all motors. If you see this happening without the motor up chances are your recirculation system is plugged and might need service or you are in serious need of and engine decarb.

Hawgboss22

Cadet

So, if I relieve the pressure before tilting, would this cure the problem?
Thanks.
Bruce

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

It might reduce it but not eliminate it. All the fuel inside the carb bowls will still drain. Dont run motor dry either for that is a good way to fry the motor.

Hawgboss22

Cadet

No, I would never run the motor dry. What I am talking about is opening the gas cap to relieve the pressure.

seafox 257

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 1995 40hp evinrude it does the same thing.