Force 40 water in cowl, coming from under starter relay

t-wood

Cadet
Howdy, am new to boating and to forum. Bought a used 1996 tracker pontoon with a 97 force 40 hp 3 months ago. Had comp. checked and looked at by local mech. before i bought. They said it was in good shape. Ran it flawlessly 3 times. I did just replace the Volt Reg and while checking my gauges in the driveway i noticed water in the cowl. Shut it down and turned motor trying to find the source. It is spraying out from under the starter relay. I moved some wires and tried to restart to really pinpoint the source but now it acts like the baterry is dead. Sorry am rambling on. I think the starter got wet so i will try to start again after it dries. I guess i would like suggestions on the water leak. I know it isnt from the water line for the psi guage. Any help much appreciated. thanks

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Force 40 water in cowl, coming from under starter relay

Post pics of the problem area with an indicator pointing to where you feel the water came from. OR! Post a parts diagram listing the part or parts you feel might be involved jow

t-wood

Cadet

wickware thanks for the reply, Not too sure if i am techy enough to post a picture. I will try though. It did dry up and started first try like usual. It takes a 30 sec to a minute before water starts spraying out. Coming from a gasket. I tried tightening the two bolts near the leak with out any change. It is coming from the left side of the motor. I believe its the exhaust plate gasket? near the bottom 2 bolts definitly a failed gasket Should there be water in there?

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Replace gasket or use high temp rtv. U can get it at Walmart in auto department.

wickware

Lieutenant

Here is a pic of my1970 35HP Chrysler that might be related (An Uncle!). If this is your problem area, you can see the plate behind the starter is related to water due to the thermostat housing and hose. Reading post related to salt water etc, the bolts might be a Bear to remove to replace the gasket. I noticed a quick fix posted and the psi should not be too high. I?ll turn you over to the pros at this point with this matter. This 35HP is the extent of my outboard experience vs basic "old" automotive/small engines. Good luck! jow

Attachments

• 2010 Cleaning Since 1985 But as needed Greasing (7).JPG
    2010 Cleaning Since 1985 But as needed Greasing (7).JPG
    81 KB · Views: 1

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The exhaust plate should have water in it.Profile?Where do U live?Salt or fresh water??
If it's salt then it might be tough to remove the bolts and replace the gaskets.
PB Blaster, start spraying the bolts.Then start tapping the heads with a small hammer.Your breaking loose any corrosion or salt build up.
Go slow or you'll be drilling and tapping new holes.
Otherwise it's an easy fix.J

t-wood

Cadet

I live in Kansas, all fresh water. I say its the exhaust plate because the shape looks like that on the parts diagram. Definitly not the head. For some reason though on the diagram i loose a refrence point it looks as if its turned 90 deg or something. I noticed a faded sticker on that plate that appeared to say gear asy. There are 17 - 18 3/8 bolts that hold it on. Thanks for the help and any other info is great.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

That's the exhaust plate.It just might be a place someone moved the propshaft sticker.
Pics always help.J

t-wood

Cadet

Thanks for the help guys. Finally my schedule will alow me to fix this. Question i bought the high temp red rtv. Will i be able to apply this just in the problem area. Or will i need to remove all of the gasket and use this to replace all of the old gasket. Thanks again for the help!