Force 150hp starter / battery issue

pasquipa

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1992 Force 150hp. I think you call it the starter bendex, appears to be not working properly. Sometimes it stays up engaged with the flywheel. Sometimes it will not pop up to engage the flywheel. How is this unit suppose to work. Do I need a rebuilt starter ? Can either of these situations cause my battery to drain down below 12 vots from trying to start it ? Or will a bad battery cause the bendex to operate in this way ? I metered the battery after a few minutes of trying to start the motor and it was at 11.90. It was something like 12.20 when I first metered the battery before trying to start it. Do i have two separate issues here ? any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys....

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Force 150hp starter / battery issue

If the starter is not spinning fast enough, the bendex may not work like it should. I would take all the battery cable connections loose and wire brush them clean. Pay close attention to the negative cable where it connects to the engine block, and the positive battery cable connections on the starter solenoid. If that doesn't help, take the battery in and have it load tested. Also if you have a bad battery cable you may have what appears to be a starter problem. Eliminate the battery cables (negative and positive cables) and connections and the battery itself first.

pasquipa

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, I will check all those connections / wires and the battery this weekend when I'm at my camp. Thanks for your help. I'll post when fixed...

pasquipa

Seaman Apprentice

Is there a negative cable that needs to be attached to my starter ? I was not the person who took the old starter out. I went and bought a new starter and installed it myself. I attached the red positive cable to the bottom of the new starter but don't see a black negative cable anywhere. I thought I needed to attatch one like on a battery (?). Is the mounting bracket (located under the starter) acting like a ground since it is bolted to the side of the engine and the underside of the starter ? The starter gets really really hot when I try to start the engine. I figure'd that it's not grounded (?). This is a brand new starter. I don't want to fry it...

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

There is no negative cable attached to the starter. Bolting it to the block provides the ground connection. I assume you eliminated the battery cable/connections and the battery itself? The starter should not get very hot under normal operating conditions. Unless you repeatedly engage the starter for extended periods for testing or something like that, it shouldn't get very hot.

pasquipa

Seaman Apprentice

the support bracket under the starter was not on tightly when I installed the new starter. I didn't know it was the ground connection for the unit. I tightened that bracket up and that did the trick. Thanks for the help.