Force 150 cooling question

pasquipa

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys, We just replaced the water pump impeller on my 1992 Force 150. I've noticed when the engine is running anywhere from idle to mid-throttle, I get a decent amount of spray out of the two tell tales holes. However, with the throttle in the mid to full open range, I get more of an occasional spitting of water from the tell tale holes. My son noticed this as I was driving the boat. Prior to the impeller change, I did notice a good spray coming from the tell tale holes while I was going slow, but was never able to look at it while running at mid-throttle or better because I was driving. We were careful to make sure the impeller blades were going the same direction as the one we were replacing. All the internal parts of the lower unit are in great shape. One other point to mention is my skeg has a small chunk missing out of the side of it. Not sure what function the skeg performs or if it matters in this situation. Any thoughts ? All help is greatly appreciated.

Paul

GrindKore

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Force 150 cooling question

Here is a simple test you can do without any tools.

Take your cowling off next time you are on the water, than run motor at WOT for 5 min. Kill the motor, and carefully touch the head area with your fingers. With properly operating water pump and cooling system your motor should be barely warm. If its too hot for you to touch it, that you have a cooling problem.

By the way, the two holes on the back of the motor are not tell-tails. Its idle exhaust pressure relief snout. Basically it allows some exhaust gas and cooling water runoff to escape during low RPM operation due to relatively low back pressure. During the high speed operation majority of exhaust and water are spewed out from the exhaust fin below the waterline.

pasquipa

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Force 150 cooling question

Thanks for that info GrindKore, I did not know that. All along I thought they were the "tell tail" holes. I will take your advice and see how it goes.