FORCE 15 HP Questions

Hello all, <br />It's been a while since i've been on here, been busy as hell fishing, but I need some advice. I have stumbled across a 99 model force (i think) for $500. It appears to be in good condition and the guy says it has only been ran for a couple hours (Less than 10). Is this a good buy? Is there anything I should know about these engines? Also, the serial on the engine is OE129612 and there is another number on the plate that reads 225.581998. Any information will be greatly appreciatted. Thanks to all.<br /><br />Stream_fisher

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: FORCE 15 HP Questions

The 225 number is a sears number, with this number you can search there online parts books.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

Good motor, I have the sears 15 HP version too......I ran the crap out of it for the last 5 years @ WOT on my sons's little 12' v-hull Lowe. Runs about 25 MPH with the 9" pitch 3 blade prop. Some of the models came with a 2 blade prop for heavy loads. If ya got a small set up like my son's, get the 3 blade 9" pitch. My 240 lb. fat butt and my 100 lb son and gear. When I was a little skinnier, 28 MPH by myself. If no paint is worn off lower unit 500.00 is a good buy......if its been setting up awhile you MUST CLEAN THE CARB. Or you will fry it! Buy parts from Merc dealer if you can cross refference parts. Sears is way out of line in this dept. plus some big Merc dealers discount parts 20%, Sears DOES NOT! Runs on 50:1 premix and don't use cheap oil! They did a comparrison test with this outboard agianst all the other 15 HP on the market about 5 years ago and it was the FASTEST! It also has the biggest displacement in this class of 2 cycle.

Thanks for the info. I ran the engine today and just as you said it was fast. It was really fast. I was impressed. However, i did notice that the heads got a little hot (it was 90+ degrees today) but the tell-tale had a full stream. My 9.9 stayed cooler under same conditions. Should i worry about the 15? Also, i have the 15 for a 14ft alumacraft boat, flat-bottom, 157 pounds (weight of boat). I was impressed with the 15 and probably will buy it tommorrow.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

You should be able to touch the head without burning yourself, and I forgot to mention, there is a tiny inline filter on the intake side of the fuel pump also...very tiny...you remove the hose fitting to ge it out. The 15 HP spins up 6,000 RPM to put out its 15 hp. This particular model years ago when Chrysler owned them also had electric start and a generator/alternator mounted on the top of the cowel driven by direct drive of the flywheel. Force or Mercury modified the motor with MUCH better rope starting setup that actually mounted on the top of the flywheel instead of being gear driven from below the flywheel. I bought mine from a Sears that had a woman running the sporting goods dept that didn't know what she was doing. I bought TWO outboards, 9.9 HP and the 15 HP NEW IN THE BOX. $200.00(list $1,495.00) for the 9.9 cause the top cowl was scrached and $750.00(list $1,795.00) for the 15 HP WITH full warranty!!!!! Sold the 9.9 HP rite away for $1,000.00 to pay for the whole works. Both motors were gifts on a charge card from a wives to husbands. The husbands did not want the motors, so Sears liberal return policy, took them back never run.....and I checked them...never had gas in them. Any way, once in a lifetime deal, gave the 15 HP to my son.

Sounds like you snuck up on a hell of a deal to me. Wish i could get that lucky.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

$500 bucks for an engine that has no paint worn off it and 10 hours is one hell of deal today too. Same deal heere in south Florida would cost $750.00 or more...so "be happy..." ;)

ok, i'll pep up. lol. I'm gonna try to get my hands on that engine today. Hopefully it turns out to be a keeper.

FlyBoy, you started to talk about the fuel pump but i'm not sure if i figured out the significance of taking it off or out. Please elaborate. Thanks

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

Where the fuel line goes "in" on the fuel pump, remove the fitting and there is a tiny fuel filter inside the fitting itself (small screen type). It's so tiny that it clogs very easily. Jus' make sure the carb and rest of the fuel system are not gummed up. Treat the engine as new engine (break in for one tank since the guy says it has so little time on it) New set of plugs would be a good idea.....Get him to test run it on muffs or in a barrel jus' to see if it runs. Don't run it too long if its been sitting for a long time till ya git ta clean it out. Run Mercury "Fuel System Cleaner" a little on the concentrated side in the first tank of fuel. AND change the lower unit oil. Water pump should be ok....make sure its working when you start it up. I don't remeber if the newer units like the one your looking at have pee hole but the older units "spit" water out exhaust relief ports rite below the cowl.

Flyboy,<br />Thanks for the info and suggestions. I have ran the engine for about 20 mins and it started first pull every time, and ran like a beaut. It may not ever do that again, but the day i tested it, it sure acted like a good engine.