Force 125 - starts in gear, no reverse.

spokes_123

Recruit
Hi, I have a force 125 on my boat which has developed the following problems today, after a weekend of skiing with no issues.

Started off with intermitent stalling after starting the engine in with the gears disengaged.
The engine now can be started in gear.
When put into reverse on controls it will still drive forward.
I cannot dis-engage the engine with button, it's still is in gear.

I have had the remots off and all looks ok there, the linkage seems to be working ok as well. I am not a mechanic so will have to get someone to have a look if its a major problem however would like some advise if this is a known or common problem.
Your help will be appreciated.
Spokes

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 125 - starts in gear, no reverse.

Problem is likely on the motor end of the cable.
Also the neutral safety switch.

Easy to adjust if you have a Clymer repair manual.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Check on the midleg just below the mounting clamps. Actually, just below the lower engine mount. The lower unit shift rod attaches to the upper shift linkage here. If the cotter pin broke and the 1/8 inch pin fell out while you were in gear, it does not matter where the controls are, the lower unit will stay in gear. So, the controls will say you are in neutral and the engine will start in gear. There should be a cylinder about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch diameter attached to the upper shift link bar. this is only held on by the lower rod passing through it. If the 1/8 pin fell out, this piece may have fallen off also.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Very good point Frank. Why didn't I think of that?

spokes_123

Recruit

Great advise Frank this was exatly what the problem was. The cotter pin had sheered off meaning I could not shift into reverse. This was a stroke of luck as the cylinder that the cotter pin holds in would have fallen off if it was not trapped in forward. As it happens I only had to replace the cotter pin.
Thanks for the advise.
Spokes

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

That's why it is supposed to be an 1/8 inch solid pin held in with a small cotter. a split 1/8 cotter pin does not have the same strength. AND If you sheared a 1/8 cotter pin, your linkage may be mis-adjusted, putting undue force on the parts. When you replace the correct parts, put the engine in neutral and mark the lower rod where it exits the leg. then shift into forward and reverse and see if there is equal throw in each direction.