Force 125 starting and shifting problems

printmanp

Cadet
I'll start with the starting problems. If I pump the primer bulb until it's hard (it only takes 1 or 2 pumps) then it will actually spit gas out of the carburetor. Once that happens it will not start. I have since tried spraying starting fluid in first thing and it usually starts right up that way. I have also tried starting it without priming or spraying starting fluid in and it just cranks and will not start. Should I rebuild the carbs or is there something else I should check? I have searched these forums for a couple of hours and found 1 old posting about it but it didn't give me any help.<br />Next question is about shifting. It won't shift into reverse until I throttle it up quite a bit and then it finally catches. (It makes it pretty hard to launch, and it is kind of embarrasing) It goes in to forward ok but just not reverse. The weird thing is it will not do it everytime just most of the time. Do I need to rebuild the l.u. or is there another adjustment I should make? <br />Thanks.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Force 125 starting and shifting problems

If gas is coming out the carb from priming it is time to rebuild or readjust the carbs. The needle and seat are not doing their jobs or the float is adjusted incorrectly. If you take the carbs apart only do one at a time. They may be jetted differently so you want to make sure you dont swap carbs or parts for them. <br /><br />Hopefully a force guy will help with the adjustment to the lower unit. Chryslers have an adjustment nut in the motor leg. Some lower units have tons of room for adjustment from forward to reverse and some are like yours. The trick is to push a little more of the adjustment to the reverse which will take a little away from your forward.

printmanp

Cadet

I'll do that. Thanks for the start. There is a local Force guy that might help me make that adjustment. I'll get back.

printmanp

Cadet

What carb kit would I use for this 1989 Force 125? In Utah with the lakes I boat at 6000+ feet above sea level, which jets should I use?

Kevincem

Cadet

Printmanp... Who is your local Force guy? Is he any good? I also live in SLC.

Kevincem

Cadet

I need a choke for a 1988 Foce 125 if anyone knows where I can find one.

printmanp

Cadet

The Local Force Shop is Joe's Sporting & Marine. Curt is the guy that worked on my boat and he knows these engines inside and out.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Jets and floats don't come with carb kits. If the engine has lived at 6000 feet it is very likely already jetted properly. Just make sure they are clean. You should be able to get the kits right here on iBoats.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Jet sizes for 1989 125hp Force<br /><br />MAIN FUEL JET STD. .0937 SEA LEVEL - 1500 FT. BOTTOM CARBUREOTR) <br /> <br />MAIN FUEL JET STD. .101 SEA LEVEL - 1500 FT TOP CARBURETOR) <br /><br />MAIN FUEL JET OPT. .092 1500 - 3000 FT. <br />MAIN FUEL JET OPT. .090 3000 - 4500 FT. <br />MAIN FUEL JET OPT. .088 4500 - 6000 FT.<br />MAIN FUEL JET OPT. .086 6000 FT. & UP