Force 125 Piston Replacement

QA Dave

Cadet
I'm now at the point of my new hobbie on replacing the pistons from their connecting rods. The shop manual is not clear on two matters. How is best to install the new wrist pin bearings and use of a type shim inserted somewere between(I Guess)the connecting rod and wrist pin bushing. Just need clarity on this. And of course "any" feedback on replacing of piston and wrist pins is very much appriciated.

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: Force 125 Piston Replacement

You have to press them out. And a couple special tools are required :( <br /><br />TMD

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have replace a few pistons on different types of motors.pressing them out is the best way of doing it.but i dont have a press.so i use a couple of 2x4's on their sides with a couple of 1x2's nailed at each end between them. then use a large punch and a rubber mallet to get them out.to install i coat the inside of the connecting rod with grease push the wrist pin through one side of the piston place the bushing on then partway into the rod.spart adding the barrings. when done i add the other bushing then tap the pin the rest of the way through.this metod can be frustrating at times but without a press,hey its a poor mans way to do it anyway.and you know im poor.i own a force.

QA Dave

Cadet

I've read about a type of grease used to install free floating roller pins. I suppose this is used to keep them in place as the wrist pin slides into place. Can somebody recommend a product line I can use? Is petrolatum OK to use?