force 125 lower unit

kannuki

Seaman
ok im new to this and its probably been asked before but i cant find anything on it ... How do you change the lower unit oil and what type do you use :confused:

ewaltb

Seaman
Re: force 125 lower unit

There are three bolts yyou need to remove. There is one underneath the gear housing. DO NOT remove the one on the side of the gear housing. There are also two screws one Vent and one Fill at the top of the lower unit to remove. The one under the gear housing is the drain plug. Pull all three out and the fluid will drain well. Make sure you keep the vinyl washers. If you don't put them back on you might get water in you lower unit. <br />Once drained, use the bottom drain hole to fill the lower unit. (this is the way mechanics told me to do it. Reduces air bubbles) Use pressure to force the fluid up into the lower unit. It is full when it comes out the top (Vent and Fill) holes. Replace the vent and fill screws, then the drain screw. Good luck.

kannuki

Seaman

hey thanks so the one on the botom of the lower unit no on the side right under the fill hole right?

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do not reuse the washers. Trust me! Spend the $1.50 and replace them. 90% of the time these washers will fail when reinstalled and you will get water in your lower unit.

kannuki

Seaman

so where can i get the washere autozone???? and what type of oil to use and the screw everyone is refering to on bottom is that a small screw on the very bottom of the lower unit? its about a 1/4 inch across

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes the small screw at the bottom is your drain screw. Go to your local force dealer for the washers or you can order online. A manual will tll you what type of oil you need. I put a synthetic oil in my lower unit.

ewaltb

Seaman

Yeah. Listen to these guys. They are giving good advice. <br />The screw to remove is the one "under" the rounded portion of the lower unit. NOT the one on the side of the rounded portion of the lower unit. The one you should NOT remove is recessed about a 1/8 inch. (I believe it is the same on mine as it is on yours)

ewaltb

Seaman

Gear lube. You can buy it at any boat store. See if you can find out what brand was used before. I heard it was good, not imperative, to use the same type.

clanton

Rear Admiral

There use to be a Merc dealer across the street from the Honda shop. He should be able to help you with the gear oil and fiber washer. I thought the bottom drain was an allen head screw.

kannuki

Seaman

see the problem i have is there are no boat shops around this small town in oklahoma im in so i have to either order my stuff online or find a comparable auto part.

clanton

Rear Admiral

What about wal-mart or the next town Lawton?

kannuki

Seaman

ill try wal-mart but eastons marine in lawton is the only one and they are real pricey i may take a trip up to elk city and try them.. are you in oklahoma?