Force 125 Installing Powerhead

QA Dave

Cadet
After a long affair rebuilding the 1251X9D powerhead I'm now ready to install the unit onto its pedistal. One of two questions is. When I first removed the head I discovered two 4" plastic tubes laying within the exhaust cavity of the engine pedital. What is their purpose and more important were do they install? I noticed two holes at either corner of the exhaust cavity and although they "can" fit into these holes the location and purpose is not clear. Second 2 part question is much simpler. What is the best method to break-in a rebuilt Force 125 powerhead and what sort of risks would I have trying to use 2 year old fuel (30 gal)when I start this motor up.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Force 125 Installing Powerhead

I cant help with the first question but on the second one you should use a 24 to 1 ratio gas to oil mix for the first tank of gas. Also that gas you have is probably no good. It might work but you would save a lot of grief using new gas. If you have an option I would buy a cheap plastic 6 gallon can and run fresh gas off of that to make sure the rebuild worked correctly. Then you can try the old gas and if there is a problem with it you are looking at carb and fuel pump rebuilds.

QA Dave

Cadet

Thanks eurolarva. <br />Your response of fuel mixture and condition is much appriciated. I'v been told there are recondition fuel additives that when used will bring new life. Are there any experience with these products? I'm also sort of surprised I got no response to my question about those mysterious plastic tubes!

rbruce63

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the plastic tubes are colored red then they belong to the puddled fuel recyrculation system that had these motors to curtail raw fuel and oil emissions to the environment. This is however this is just a guess based on similar tubing that came in old 1974 Chrysler outboards that came with these features.<br /><br />If the gasoline is not mixed with oil and it was stored properly in an air tight drum, then I would use it, but to be on the safe side I would use it half and half with new gasoline as octane rating is not an issue in two stroke motors. However, if gas is poor you will probably damage the carburetors and probably waste the effort that you made in rebuilding the powerhead.<br /><br />Finally, I have used additives to preserve and to condition fuel for storage and they work up to 24 months, however, they have to be added in the correct proportion to the un-mixed fuel prior to storage.