force 125 flywheel is stuck

2902ao

Cadet
I have a bad stator and need to remove the flywheel on a 1987 Force 125. I bought a universal flywheel puller, but it won't budge. I put a 9/16 wrench on the center puller bolt, but no luck. Then I put another open end wrench on the end for extra leverage....... I twisted off the center bolt of the flwheel puller trying to get that flywheel loose.

Any ideas? The darn thing won't budge......

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: force 125 flywheel is stuck

Buy a steering wheel puller or a harmonic balacer puller and thread three 1/4 X 20 bolts into the holes in the center of the flywheel. Tighten the center bolt grunt tight then smack it HARD with a heavy hammer. A number of times.

Heat is our friend! If it still won't budge, tighten then heat the center of the flywheel with a propane torch but miss the crankshaft. Eventually, she should "pop" If it does not, then smack again with hammer and tighten center bolt.

If you have access to an air wrench, the impacts will shock the taper and MAY pop the flywheel.

Some are really stubborn. I had one yesterday that took an hour to get off.

If the bolts holes in the flywheel strip, simply re-tap them to 5/16 X 18

lazypengu1n

Cadet

I have the same exact issue.

I broke off of the bolts so I can no longer use the harmonic puller.

I went and grabbed a 5 ton 3 claw puller and tried to pull using the lip on the flywheel, no good. Ended up breaking the lip.

The magnet ring on the flywheel came loose, which was the reason why I needed to take off the flywheel. It seem simpler in the beginning, pull of flywheel and re-glue the ring to the flywheel using epoxy.

Now, I have a new to me flywheel, nylon bolt and key on its way to me.

Since I was getting a new flywheel, I no longer care what happens to this one.

I am currently using a 5 ton three claw puller on the flywheel teeth. I had to use a grinder to remove some of the metal where the lip use to be for the tool to clear and grab the teeth correctly.

Currently, heat cycled and tapping the top of the 5 ton puller. I am trying to find this other product that people swear by called Cold Shock made by Walter. I can't find it at the moment but I don't want dump anything into the boat unless I get this flywheel replaced and the motor running.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Hook up the 3jaw and put the nut back on(not tight) to stop it from falling to the ground.
I use an impact wrench and put as much tourqe as I think it will take then hit the bolt with a 3# hammer.It has never not came loose.J

lazypengu1n

Cadet

This is what I did and it worked for me, hope it works for you. Use the harmonic puller or in my case I used a 3 claw puller. Crank it down enough so there is tension on the flywheel and the crank shaft without bending or damaging the flywheel. Used a propane torch and heated the flywheel for about 45 seconds, so it was 'warm' NOT red hot.

Find a big crow bar, I mean big. The one I used looked like a giant toothpick with a flat end on it, and boy was it heavy. Use the pry end and have a friend hold the pry bar against the engine case and flywheel. If you are looking directly at the back of the motor where the sprak plugs are, place crow bar 45 degree to your left and use the crank case as leverage. I then went on the other side 180, and used a hammer and light tapped upward and it just came off.

*** Remember to leave the nut holding the flywheel on the crank shaft so when it does come off it doesn't smash you in the face or hands.***

Good Luck,
John